Author Topic: Upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10  (Read 962 times)

Offline davidhelpgop

Upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10
« on: November 25, 2022, 10:14:03 am »
I upgraded my 2015 Gigabyte computer from Windows 7 pro to Windows 10 64bit Pro about 3 days ago. After some Windows 10 updates I can no longer revert back to Windows 7 as it says: "This option is no longer available because your PC was upgraded more than 10 days ago".

I could have done a clean install but I did not want to spend hours installing all my programs again and copying my files back from my backup.

Some issues I have had to fix with more to do. I cannot explain in this space in detail how they were solved but I had to search on the internet for the answers. When I say "easy solution" that means I found the answer fairly quick using google and many websites that had full or part of the answer....

In Windows 7 the issues did not happen and to change the font and colors and spacing of icons and create my own theme was easy and located in one place but Windows 10 is scatterbrain.

Not really a big improvement other then I have smoother graphics. No more leaving a trail of the file, folder, window ghost image when I drag them across the screen. I had to add some software license back after the upgrade for my programs. I can now install new programs that will not install in Windows 7.

Used sfc /scannow to fix Windows.
Change Logon Screen - used "Windows 7 Logon Background Changer".
Make 'IrFanView' the default photo viewer - Windows 10 did not accept but now does thanks to the 2 programs below.
Default program prompt all the time - kept coming up all the time. Now does not.
used gpedit-enabler.bat and File Association Fixer v 2.0

Sound not working using VLC Player - reset preferences - aggravating but works now.
Create Desktop shortcuts - easy solution.
Add 'Control Panel' shortcut to the Desktop - easy solution.
Add 'This PC' shortcut to the Desktop - easy solution.
Add shortcuts to the Start Menu and to the Taskbar of programs and files - easy solution.
Taskbar color button color - easy solution but still want to refine it.
Add color to the Title bar - active & inactive - Fixed the active using Windows Settings and for the inactive color I used Winaero Tweaker for the easy fix. You have to restart the pc.

Icon - remove drop shadows - used Iconoid.
Change icon text color - used Desktop Icon Toy 5.0
Move Taskbar program and folder buttons - Use 7+ Taskbar Tweaker.
Turn off weather app in Notification area - easy solution.
File Explorer - disable view of recent files - easy solution.
Turn off Peek thru Windows - easy solution.
Widen width of the scrollbar in Start Menu - easy solution.

Repair Microsoft Word 2016 showing images as gibberish - used MediaCreationTool22H2 to update Windows 10 and keep my files and apps
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 07:36:22 am by davidhelpgop »

Online roamer_1

Re: Upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2022, 11:21:43 am »
I upgraded my 2015 Gigabyte computer from Windows 7 pro to Windows 10 64bit Pro about 3 days ago. After some Windows 10 updates I can no longer revert back to Windows 7 as it says: "This option is no longer available because your PC was upgraded more than 10 days ago".

I could have done a clean install but I did not want to spend hours installing all my programs again and copying my files back from my backup.

An unfortunate choice, perhaps, @davidhelpgop ...

Were I to advise the conversion, I would have recommended buying a cheap SSD drive and put a fresh Win10 install on that drive, swapping it out with your Win7 system drive in  order to leave your Win7 installation pristine.

Such an approach leaves an unlimited amount of experimentation on the Win10, to include easy re-rub and re-install... When I am exploring a new OS  I always screw it up as a matter of course, as I learn the tweaks I need, and just messin with it. I am almost guaranteed 3 nuke-and-pave restarts and a week or so before I am confident enough to commit to dedicating a full install and normalizing operations.

I am currently doing exactly that with Win11, and actually have been returning to it across months, leaving my Win10s alone for now. Party that is because I really don't like Win11 that much for personal use, but I must use it and hack it in order to fix it for others, so I am kinda obliged to learn it.

As for using tweakers, I tend to stay away from that generally, as they are merely shortcuts to what I must learn anyway, so I prefer the hard way. Inevitably I will write a batch to fire all my personal tweaks into the system at once... My standard tweaks in Win10 have been applied like that for years. But I know how to use the interface to apply most of them by hand... That's just part of the discovery process.

I am interested if you were able to upgrade your system for free - I know a Win10 install will still take a Win7 key, at least as of several months ago, but it's been a long, long time since I did an upgrade, and I don't know if they still simply use the Win7 key without an upcharge. Would appreciate your input on that.

Glad your upgrade is sticking alright. Congratulations.  :beer:

Offline davidhelpgop

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2022, 04:08:02 pm »
Microsoft gave out Windows 10 for free when it came out if you did an upgrade. I upgraded those many years ago and then reverted back. Microsoft knows the computer you put the OS on. I never was prompted for my license. I do own a few copies of Windows 10.

I did this upgrade for 2 laptops and my desktop pc. One laptop I re-installed back to Windows 7 as Window 10 updates eventually caused driver conflict seen in the Device Manager. Microsoft still knows I can install Windows 10 on that pc for free.

When I upgraded to Windows 10 this time I ran a program called "winkey" and it showed a different license then my Windows 7. I keep the license with the Windows 7 one and list it to use with my desktop pc. If I do a clean install in the future I will see if that license works without having to install Windows 7 then do an upgrade. I have a image backup of Windows 7 and also a separate backup of my files if I ever want to go back to Windows 7.

I use VirtualPC as well and have Windows 11 installed on it even though my pc does not have TPM and the cpu they want that is required using steps found on internet searches that have you modify the registry so Microsoft does not do a check.

You can swap Windows 10 to another pc by going thru steps microsoft has without paying again.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 04:10:28 pm by davidhelpgop »

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2022, 09:45:43 pm »
This morning Mrs. Bigun's computer (HP Elitebook) would not allow any browser to access the internet. WiFi connection to ISP was fine. I threw every command I could think of at it from the command prompt but still no joy.  Wound up doing something I've never done before (reset) which fixed the problem. I had to re-enter a couple of but otherwise painless. Should have done that to begin with although I STILL have no idea WHAT the actual problem was.    :shrug:
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 09:46:40 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline davidhelpgop

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2022, 07:54:32 am »
This one issue below took about 2 hours to find the fix!

I came across another issue with Microsoft Word 2016 showing images as gibberish when you from the toolbar clicked on Insert> Pictures
You could drag and drop an image onto the blank page and it worked but not insert an image. Many possible fixes that included a File> Options fix, a Office repair, a registry fix, a Microsoft "SetupProd OffScrub" program to completely remove Office which took about 30 mins to uninstall, restart, install and restart and did not work... so that left the last option below. Many postings I came across about this issue. This site had several possibilities. The link also shows a sample of the gibberish image: https://tinyurl.com/mt4w27k8

The issue was created by the Win7 to Win10 upgrade.
Create Windows 10 installation media  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I used Microsoft "MediaCreationTool22H2" to update Windows 10 and keep my files and apps even though I had the latest. It downloads Windows 10 and re-installs and it fixed the Office 2016 issue. Go figure!

Offline davidhelpgop

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2022, 07:57:42 am »
Were any of these steps the answer to the Wifi issue?

HP PCs - Troubleshooting Wireless Network and Internet (Windows 10)
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_1997137-1439082-16

This morning Mrs. Bigun's computer (HP Elitebook) would not allow any browser to access the internet. WiFi connection to ISP was fine. I threw every command I could think of at it from the command prompt but still no joy.  Wound up doing something I've never done before (reset) which fixed the problem. I had to re-enter a couple of but otherwise painless. Should have done that to begin with although I STILL have no idea WHAT the actual problem was.    :shrug:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2022, 02:50:57 pm »
Were any of these steps the answer to the Wifi issue?

HP PCs - Troubleshooting Wireless Network and Internet (Windows 10)
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_1997137-1439082-16

Unfortunately, no.  I found that exact document and followed every step but no joy.  Then I did the reset which took about an hour more or less.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien