Author Topic: ROOKE: Are American Women Even Up To The Task Of Cooking For Thanksgiving?  (Read 1267 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
ROOKE: Are American Women Even Up To The Task Of Cooking For Thanksgiving?

Mary Rooke
Commentary and Analysis Writer
November 23, 2022 5:59 PM ET

American women know their way around a conference room. However, they have largely forgotten the traditions of a kitchen, leading to the question of whether they are even capable of making one of the nation’s most important meals on Thanksgiving.

The menu varies across the U.S., but almost all family Thanksgivings include turkey, dressing (stuffing for those not born in the South), mashed potatoes, and gravy.

The family matriarch was in charge of the most important dishes to ensure the meal was a success no matter what everyone else brought. Being allowed to cook the turkey was a right of passage that a child could witness from one generation to the next.

When the big meal transferred from being held at grandma’s house to your mother’s, she became in charge of delivering the prized bird. As she was in the kitchen rubbing the turkey with butter, S&P, and garlic, your dad was probably bragging to the other men in the living room about the bird’s size, making it clear he spared no expense.

The celebration of Thanksgiving is the epitome of American values. It showcases that our nation’s strength still lies in the family as we go back to the same house to recreate the same feast with the same people around the same table every year.

It was understood by everyone in the house that this meal was special – something that deserved dedicated time, preparation, and care to complete. It brought families together and kept them close.

more
https://dailycaller.com/2022/11/23/thanksgiving-women-cooking-task-dinner/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

Re: ROOKE: Are American Women Even Up To The Task Of Cooking For Thanksgiving?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2022, 05:25:08 pm »
Someone needs to re-educate Mary Rooke.  How insulting!!! Not only did I know my way around a conference room, I can also cook an excellent Thanksgiving.

I wonder if Mary can do both?  :laugh:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2022, 05:41:22 pm »
Someone needs to re-educate Mary Rooke.  How insulting!!! Not only did I know my way around a conference room, I can also cook an excellent Thanksgiving.

I would not know.  I always help Mrs. Liberty with making the meals, not just today's.   I do know she's much better at it than I.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2022, 05:49:21 pm »
Not only did I know my way around a conference room, I can also cook an excellent Thanksgiving.

Right?? 
They're not mutually exclusive, thank you very much.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2022, 10:30:26 pm »
American women know their way around a conference room. However, they have largely forgotten the traditions of a kitchen, leading to the question of whether they are even capable of making one of the nation’s most important meals on Thanksgiving.

Oh, ours most definitely are most capable. Professional. You will find no better.

Offline berdie

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2022, 10:39:17 pm »

Same here. But I can't help but wonder if this person is talking about the "youngers" who don't even know how to fix an every day dinner, unless it's from the frozen section in the grocery store. I do have a step niece that can really cook. She's about 25, really loves to cook. But I think she is the exception. 

Disclaimer: I did not read the article.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2022, 01:16:52 am »

Same here. But I can't help but wonder if this person is talking about the "youngers" who don't even know how to fix an every day dinner, unless it's from the frozen section in the grocery store. I do have a step niece that can really cook. She's about 25, really loves to cook. But I think she is the exception. 

Disclaimer: I did not read the article.

Yes the article does reference the younger generation, but it implies women in general.  Thanksgiving traditions have been passed down by generations, but apparently not so much anymore.  I know my daughter still helps me out in the kitchen and we've been making zucchini bread together for Thanksgiving since she was a toddler. (She has since come up with a new and improved recipe and it is absolutely fantastic).

I did read an article that the 'woke', GenZ or whatever they call themselves feel the need to change Thanksgiving.

Everything that is near and dear to the heart of American traditions they now want to change. The left wants to erase American history and tradition paving the way to demolish our Constitution, Bill of Rights and values to install the Great Reset.

The Mayflower Compact, Plymouth Rock, and the first Thanksgiving...goes back to the very beginning of the history of our country  I wonder if those events are even taught in schools anymore??

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2022, 01:21:09 am »
I have a law degree and a culinary arts degree. Would that blow Ms. Rooke's mind?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline libertybele

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2022, 01:35:13 am »
I have a law degree and a culinary arts degree. Would that blow Ms. Rooke's mind?

Without a doubt.  :laugh:

Offline LilLamb

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2022, 02:18:15 am »
The woke generation wants to end Thanksgiving as we know it, because they want to emphasis that white people took this country from the friendly indigenous Americans with violence, so to them Thanksgiving is a myth. A bunch of them are celebrating Friendsgiving where they eat non-tradional food and drink with their fellow wokesters because their families are such a drag to be around.
"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."  Ronald Reagan

Offline libertybele

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2022, 02:23:01 am »
The woke generation wants to end Thanksgiving as we know it, because they want to emphasis that white people took this country from the friendly indigenous Americans with violence, so to them Thanksgiving is a myth. A bunch of them are celebrating Friendsgiving where they eat non-tradional food and drink with their fellow wokesters because their families are such a drag to be around.

Destroying the family unit, family values and family traditions will destroy this country.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2022, 05:54:17 am »
Mrs. Joe didn't finish High School, although she remained an avid reader--but boy, could she cook!
The blow was softened this year by one of my daughters coming to town to cook Thanksgiving (she learned at her mother's knee). Her daughter is learning now (she lives at the house) and is getting better quickly!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2022, 05:55:37 am »
Destroying the family unit, family values and family traditions will destroy this country.
Not everyone is falling for that crap, and the common tactic of the bolsheviks is to make you think they are more common than they really are. Like the man said, "Don't let them bamboozle you, Kid!"
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2022, 05:59:33 am »

I have an advanced dish washing degree which I put to good use for two days.... Wife made a great spread today... and I have found that while I am behind the sink, I can do little wrong.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2022, 02:15:44 pm »
Everyone in the Fuller family knows how to cook to some degree or another.

I know it's popular to dunk on millennials and Gen Z—and in many cases, for good reason—but their cooking skills should never be in doubt.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2022, 02:31:46 pm »
It is probably more of a rural vs city dweller than a woke vs non-woke debate.
Most of the folks I know that live in the city never cook, other than heating a can of soup..

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2022, 02:48:07 pm »
It is probably more of a rural vs city dweller than a woke vs non-woke debate.
Most of the folks I know that live in the city never cook, other than heating a can of soup..

I'd agree with that.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2022, 03:06:55 pm »

I have a BA and a MA, and a few more post grad credits.

I can cook ok nothing gourmet but simple good meals. I just don’t like cooking. No joy in cooking for one.

As for work, I never had a job I loved, I saw it as something to pay the bills. I liked having my own time at home to do free lance writing and reading. That brought me joy
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 03:08:24 pm by Gefn »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2022, 03:12:00 pm »
As for work, I never had a job I loved, I saw it as something to pay the bills.

IMO this is important to understand in life. Doing something you love is great. I kinda like my job. I'm wishy washy on parts of it. But in reality it just pays the bills. Work to live don't live to work. Secret to a better life.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2022, 08:35:50 pm »
Why is this limited to women?  For as long as I knew him, up until he got too old to do anything, my FiL always cooked Thanksgiving dinner, and it was awesome. 

Offline berdie

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2022, 10:08:28 pm »

The Mayflower Compact, Plymouth Rock, and the first Thanksgiving...goes back to the very beginning of the history of our country  I wonder if those events are even taught in schools anymore??

I think it's taught right after civics class. /s  :rolling: