Author Topic: WHIP LIST: McCarthy searches for 218 GOP Speakership votes  (Read 338 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
WHIP LIST: McCarthy searches for 218 GOP Speakership votes
« on: November 25, 2022, 01:55:47 pm »
 WHIP LIST: McCarthy searches for 218 GOP Speakership votes
by Emily Brooks - 11/25/22 6:00 AM ET

A narrower-than-anticipated House Republican majority and a growing number of House Republicans expressing opposition to House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) are threatening to derail his bid to be Speaker of the House.

McCarthy won his party’s nomination for Speaker this month but needs to secure a majority of all those casting a vote for a specific candidate in a Jan. 3 House floor vote in order to officially be elected Speaker.

Support from 218 House Republicans, marking a majority of the House, would shore up his position. 

A Speaker can be elected with fewer than 218 votes if there are absences, vacancies or some members vote “present,” but McCarthy does not have much wiggle room. Democrats will have around 213 seats, and all are expected to vote for a Democratic Speaker nominee. Republicans will have around 222 seats. 

McCarthy maintains confidence that he will win the Speakership, but around five House Republicans have already signaled they will not support McCarthy’s Speakership bid on the floor, likely already putting him under 218 and throwing his position into dangerous territory. Several others are withholding support, too, without necessarily saying they will vote against McCarthy on Jan. 3.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3748648-whip-list-mccarthy-searches-for-218-gop-speakership-votes/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: WHIP LIST: McCarthy searches for 218 GOP Speakership votes
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2022, 02:09:12 pm »
Here are the five votes Matt Gaetz claims will stop Kevin McCarthy from becoming House Speaker
BPR, Nov 23, 2022

U.S. Rep. Matt Gaetz claimed on Tuesday that he has enough votes to prevent current House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy from becoming House speaker in January.

Speaking on Steve Bannon’s “War Room” podcast, he said that of the 36 Republicans who voted against McCarthy during the initial vote last week, five of them — which is apparently enough to stop his confirmation as speaker — have vowed to vote “no” again come the final vote in January.

“To catch everyone up, last week there were 36 votes against Kevin McCarthy in the Republican conference, and again, Kevin has had years to try to convince people of the worth of his candidacy. Since that time, zero of those 36 have come out to say, ‘You know what, I voted against McCarthy previously, but I’m now prepared to vote for him on the floor.’ Zero,” he said.

"Meanwhile, five members, which include myself, Andy Biggs, Bob Good, Matt Rosendale, and now most recently Ralph Norman, have all come out and said that our ‘no’ vote on McCarthy is firm. It was not just a no vote within the Republican conference. It is a ‘no’ vote we intend to carry to the floor,” he added.

More w/audio:   https://www.bizpacreview.com/2022/11/23/here-are-the-five-votes-matt-gaetz-claims-will-stop-kevin-mccarthy-from-becoming-house-speaker-1311785/

Offline bilo

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2022, 02:56:22 pm »
Would it be all that bad if the Pubs don't have a majority for a speaker?

I remember how we were all told we needed to rally around McConnell when he was up for re-election and all he has done has been to destroy any MAGA senators where possible. McCarthy isn't any better. Why vote for a speaker who will do the same?
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2022, 05:22:37 pm »
What's keeping McCarthy from getting some Dems to vote for him?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2022, 05:44:39 pm »
What's keeping McCarthy from getting some Dems to vote for him?

I don't think anything other than they see him as a conservative. I'd like to see Matt Gaetz as Speaker.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.