Author Topic: With thousands of hungry troops, DOD urges limited income hikes  (Read 138 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
With thousands of hungry troops, DOD urges limited income hikes
« on: November 23, 2022, 04:38:22 pm »
With thousands of hungry troops, DOD urges limited income hikes
Many lawmakers and advocates say Pentagon is not doing nearly enough to fight food insecurity in the ranks

By John M. Donnelly
Posted November 22, 2022 at 11:07am
Top Pentagon officials, in a document sent to lawmakers recently, backed higher pay increases for low-income servicemembers than the department’s leaders have publicly endorsed — but far from enough, critics say, to combat widespread hunger in the ranks.

A Nov. 11 spreadsheet sent to Congress by Defense Department Comptroller Mike McCord listed nearly $30 billion in “highest priority” programs for the defense panels to consider in the fiscal 2023 defense authorization and appropriations bills. Most of the money, nearly $24 billion, would go to offset inflation, and the list also includes more spending on missiles, munitions and fighter jets.

The department’s document recommended more generous pay enhancements than Defense Secretary Lloyd J. Austin III has publicly proposed. The new behind-the-scenes recommendations include a “basic needs allowance” to keep troops’ incomes at 150 percent of the poverty line, which would be an increase above current law. Also included is an “inflation bonus” for 2023 for lower-income uniformed personnel that amounts to 3 percent of base pay, more than the House or Senate fiscal 2023 NDAAs would provide.

https://rollcall.com/2022/11/22/with-thousands-of-hungry-troops-dod-urges-limited-income-hikes/
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 04:39:27 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: With thousands of hungry troops, DOD urges limited income hikes
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 04:44:07 pm »
Screw the troops!  Congress needs to make sure illegal immigrants have steak, lobster. and crab; free apartments; free cell phones; free medical care; free legal assistance; free transportation; free utilities; free education, etc. :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson