Author Topic: Florida leaders say they are willing to change law to allow DeSantis to run for president without re  (Read 1079 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Florida leaders say they are willing to change law to allow DeSantis to run for president without resigning
November 23, 2022 | Tom Tillison

After the 2022 midterm elections, where the only real “red wave” was in Florida and that turned out to be a tsunami, you can’t blame Republicans in the Sunshine State for wanting to have their cake and eat it too.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis defeated his Democratic opponent so thoroughly that, in the eyes of many, he was catapulted to the front of the line in the 2024 presidential election, surpassing even Donald Trump. It remains unlikely that DeSantis will go toe-to-toe with the former president, but Florida state legislators are discussing changing a state law to allow DeSantis to mount a White House run without resigning as governor.

And they have the means to do it given that while the GOP at a national level eked out a majority in the House by a sliver and failed to capture the Senate, Florida Republicans secured a supermajority in both chambers of the state legislature.

Section 99.012 of the Florida Statutes, the Resign-to-Run Law, states: “No officer may qualify as a candidate for another public office, whether state, district, county or municipal, if the terms or any part thereof run concurrently with each other, without resigning from the office he or she presently holds.”

Under the law, an office-holder can make their resignation effective the day they would assume the new office if elected.

more
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2022/11/23/florida-leaders-say-they-are-willing-to-change-law-to-allow-desantis-to-run-for-president-without-resigning-1311622/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Works for me. 

Bonus points because Liberal will hate it!
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Uhhhh,who do they plan on replacing him with? They DO know he can't be the US Pres and the Governor  of Fla at the same time,right?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline EdinVA

Uhhhh,who do they plan on replacing him with? They DO know he can't be the US Pres and the Governor  of Fla at the same time,right?

We gotta law for that too....

Offline Kamaji

That's not the point.  Right now, if he were to announce that he was seeking the nomination for President, he would have to resign as governor; the proposed change would allow him to continue to serve as governor while running for the office of President, and would only have to resign if he won the office.

Offline Idiot

Works for me. 

:yowsa:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
:yowsa:

@mrpotatohead

The ONLY people who would benefit would be the weasels in Florida who want him gone so they can establish their own dynasty.

What America needs is 4 more years of Trump in the WH,followed by 8 years of DeSantis.

Even 12 years may only be enough to scrape at the windows of established political corruption.

Offline Idiot

@mrpotatohead

The ONLY people who would benefit would be the weasels in Florida who want him gone so they can establish their own dynasty.

What America needs is 4 more years of Trump in the WH,followed by 8 years of DeSantis.

Even 12 years may only be enough to scrape at the windows of established political corruption.
I hate to tell you this, but Trump is not electable now.  He was a great president, but you either love him (the minority), or hate him (the majority).  Heck....even I can barely stand the guy now and I was a huge supporter of his.  I'll defend him to my somewhat liberal family tomorrow though....ughhh.  Where did I put the danged valium...lololol.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I hate to tell you this, but Trump is not electable now.  He was a great president, but you either love him (the minority), or hate him (the majority).  Heck....even I can barely stand the guy now and I was a huge supporter of his.  I'll defend him to my somewhat liberal family tomorrow though....ughhh.  Where did I put the danged valium...lololol.

@mrpotatohead 

You realize you just virtually admitted to having fallen prey to the anti-Trump campaign by the left and the RINO's,who fear Trump upsetting their apple carts more than anything else in this world?

Trump is far from being a perfect human being,but he IS most likely THE perfect candidate to destroy the Dim and RINO control over our nation.

No,I don't think he or anyone else will be able to repair all the damage in just 4 years,but it would be enough to get a good start on change,given how bull-headed and determined he is to go down in history as "the man that saved America."

There are no guarantees,but MAYBE he can set things right to the point that DeSantis can step in at the end of his term and take over and continue what Trump started. Or will be credited with with starting,anyhow.

The ironic truth is that it was the DIMS and the RINO's that started what may turn into a political revolution by being too greedy too soon,giving someone like Trump,a non-politician,the chance to step in and take over.

I am GUESSING that at least 95 percent of the people holding public office today could not do what Trump can do even if they wanted because they have cut too many "backroom deals" while holding office to keep the campaign contributions pouring in. Even IF their hearts were set on cleaning up the system after taking office,reality and circumstances robbed them of it.

Like him or not,Trump was and IS in the unique position of not owing either the DNC or the RNC a single damn thing,and this is part of what makes him irreplaceable in the short term. He can't be bought and he can't be bribed,and truth to tell,HE probably has a hell of a lot more blackmail on the establishment than they have on him.

ESPECIALLY given the FACT that Trump doesn't give a damn about anything when it is compared to how he will go down in the history books as "the President that got America back on her feet and made her an independent nation again." You just can NOT buy that sort of thing.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
potatohead peels with:
"I hate to tell you this, but Trump is not electable now..."

I reckon you would have been telling us that back in 2015, as well.

I've previously posted that having just been re-elected, Mr. DeSantis cannot mount a credible campaign for president unless he begins about halfway into 2023. And that will mean abandoning the job he was just re-elected to do. Not really a good path forward for [right now] America's most successful governor.

He'd do better to support Mr. Trump in 2024, fulfill his gubernatorial obligations through 2026, and THEN begin an all-out run for the presidency.

Offline libertybele

@sneakypete Under the law, an office-holder can make their resignation effective the day they would assume the new office if elected.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

Works for me. 

Exactly and I think Ron will be able to walk, talk and chew gum at the same time.  :laugh:

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete Under the law, an office-holder can make their resignation effective the day they would assume the new office if elected.

@libertybele

Hain't NUTTIN az gud as lectin sumwon ya kin cont on,huh?

I am starting to become afraid that people pushing this sort of thing are going to end up killing his chance of obtaining higher office.

As most of you know,MY ideal political situation would be for Trump to be elected President during the next Presidential elections,and then virtually  "handing the reigns over" to DeSantis to follow up with two terms.

I am not so sure that even that would be enough to really turn things around,but there can no be no doubt about it being a couple of serious steps in the right  direction.

And,of course,what is going to hurt both Trump and DeSantis is getting stuck with having to pay the obligations voted in by the Dims while they still held office.

The one thing we can all be sure of is that a Republican,ANY Republican,in office after Slow Joe, is going to be stuck with the blame for the destruction of the economy. by both the media and the DNC.

Unfortunately for America,the Dims OWN the major PR machine in this country,and we all know that if you tell a lie often enough to enough people,the end result is they end up believing it to be true.

Offline libertybele

@libertybele

Hain't NUTTIN az gud as lectin sumwon ya kin cont on,huh?

I am starting to become afraid that people pushing this sort of thing are going to end up killing his chance of obtaining higher office.

As most of you know,MY ideal political situation would be for Trump to be elected President during the next Presidential elections,and then virtually  "handing the reigns over" to DeSantis to follow up with two terms.

I am not so sure that even that would be enough to really turn things around,but there can no be no doubt about it being a couple of serious steps in the right  direction.

And,of course,what is going to hurt both Trump and DeSantis is getting stuck with having to pay the obligations voted in by the Dims while they still held office.

The one thing we can all be sure of is that a Republican,ANY Republican,in office after Slow Joe, is going to be stuck with the blame for the destruction of the economy. by both the media and the DNC.

Unfortunately for America,the Dims OWN the major PR machine in this country,and we all know that if you tell a lie often enough to enough people,the end result is they end up believing it to be true.

You are correct, the DEMS own the PR machine and it's killing conservatism and the GOP. 

You may get your wish @sneakypete Trump may be elected president and Ron may run afterwards.  One thing is for certain though, that's not going to happen if Trump continues to take jabs at him.  That's just the way it is.

Offline LMAO

Trumpers  occupying an ever so tightening bubble. They are also molding him into who they believe Donald Trump is versus reality

could he be elected in 2024? Sure, anything is possible. But they’re basing their hope on things getting so bad that people will just vote for anybody but Biden. And what if in 2024 Joe Biden steps down and Kamala Harris has a primary challenge from an unknown democrat?

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline libertybele

Trumpers  occupying an ever so tightening bubble. They are also molding him into who they believe Donald Trump is versus reality

could he be elected in 2024? Sure, anything is possible. But they’re basing their hope on things getting so bad that people will just vote for anybody but Biden. And what if in 2024 Joe Biden steps down and Kamala Harris has a primary challenge from an unknown democrat?

It is possible that Trump will run unopposed other than by RINO's.  If someone like Pence runs which I think is likely, then it will split the party and hand the WH over to the DEMS.  If Trump runs unopposed and is the nominee I think he may have a shot at the WH.  Either way, Trump running is risky.  As for Kamel it doesn't matter if she is challenged or not, her VP has already been selected and the DEMS are counting on her/him to win the WH.

Offline LMAO

potatohead peels with:

I reckon you would have been telling us that back in 2015, as well.

Should Trump get the 2024 nomination, he will not be running against Hillary Clinton again
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
You are correct, the DEMS own the PR machine and it's killing conservatism and the GOP. 

You may get your wish @sneakypete Trump may be elected president and Ron may run afterwards.  One thing is for certain though, that's not going to happen if Trump continues to take jabs at him.  That's just the way it is.

@libertybele

That is a two-way street. Did it ever occur to you that THIS will be THE LAST CHANCE Trump has of becoming President of the US? DeSantis is a MUCH younger man who is full of promise,and he can not only afford to wait another 4 years,it would put him in a better position to BE elected 4 years down the road.

EVERY threat made to Trump by DeSantis and his backers is a knife in Trumps back,and if he keeps this up and Trump is not elected as our next President,I would not vote for a backstabbing bastard like DeSantis if you threatened to set me on fire.

Not that it will matter much,given the way America is going. Give the Dims another 4 years of importing and registering illegal aliens to vote,and the RNC will never again control the WH.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 04:34:02 pm by sneakypete »