Author Topic: Earth Can Regulate its Own Temperature Over Millennia, New Study Finds  (Read 397 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

FEEDBACKS
Earth Can Regulate its Own Temperature Over Millennia, New Study Finds
3 days ago Charles Rotter 89 Comments
Scientists have confirmed that a “stabilizing feedback” on 100,000-year timescales keeps global temperatures in check

Peer-Reviewed Publication

MASSACHUSETTS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY

The Earth’s climate has undergone some big changes, from global volcanism to planet-cooling ice ages and dramatic shifts in solar radiation. And yet life, for the last 3.7 billion years, has kept on beating.

Now, a study by MIT researchers in Science Advances confirms that the planet harbors a “stabilizing feedback” mechanism that acts over hundreds of thousands of years to pull the climate back from the brink, keeping global temperatures within a steady, habitable range.

Just how does it accomplish this? A likely mechanism is “silicate weathering” — a geological process by which the slow and steady weathering of silicate rocks involves chemical reactions that ultimately draw carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere and into ocean sediments, trapping the gas in rocks.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2022/11/20/earth-can-regulate-its-own-temperature-over-millennia-new-study-finds/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Earth Can Regulate its Own Temperature Over Millennia, New Study Finds
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 12:49:46 pm »
How do cow burps affect the process? :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2022, 02:14:45 pm »
 :whistle:

4.6 Billion years of self-regulation, thanks to a well designed universe, and people who can't run a country want to play with the temperature of the planet? :shrug:

They say they can stop that long track record of climate change, though, if you just send them enough money... *****rollingeyes***** **nononono*
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2022, 09:13:46 pm »
Almost like a natural system, eh?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2022, 09:17:01 pm »
What was the first clue,the fact that it has been doing this since the dawn of time?

Or maybe just the undisputed FACT that it was BY ACCIDENT the cosmos created the conditions that allowed life to flourish here to start with?

Yeah,I have no doubt these conditions were created PURELY be the accident of orbits and gravity,but that does NOT mean we are doomed to disappear before humanity advances to the point where we control the destiny of mankind and the creatures and conditions we need in order for humanity to thrive.

Not that any of this matters to geezers like me on a personal level. I will be "Dust in the Wind" a LONG time before any of this happens again.

Providing of course that this hasn't already happened or will happen in a galaxy far,far away,that is.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 09:24:23 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.