Author Topic: Republicans Lose Because They’re Fake Populists with No Real Policy Plans  (Read 677 times)

Offline Kamaji

Republicans Lose Because They’re Fake Populists with No Real Policy Plans

Republicans are running either like the clock is set back 20 years or as performative populists without substance.

BY: JOE POPULARIS
NOVEMBER 21, 2022

Republicans won the popular vote in House races by at least 6 percent and have taken the House. But the midterm elections were, overall, a massive disappointment for conservatives, with Republicans losing key races and seats in the Senate.

Cue the Republican infighting. The establishment quickly blamed former President Donald Trump for the losses, and it seems to care little about the fact that delayed vote counting and massive Democratic turnout due to ballot harvesting now appear to be a fact of life in American elections. Trump did pick some terrible candidates, such as Doug Mastriano in Pennsylvania, who by many accounts ran an extremely subpar campaign. Trump’s picks, true to form, appear to be based on loyalty to Trump rather than substance. But establishment candidates performed poorly also, and explicitly anti-Trump Republicans did worst of all.

Meanwhile, some blamed abortion. But many Republicans who performed poorly were not pro-life, such as Dr. Mehmet Oz in Pennsylvania. Also, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp, and Texas Gov. Greg Abbott all recently passed pro-life bills and won their races (with DeSantis massively outperforming). Democrats ran on abortion in New York and California too and still lost key House races.

Republicans were also massively outspent, as corporate money flooded to the Democrats. Anti-establishment conservatives point out that Sen. Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., spent $10 million on pro-abortion Alaska Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski’s campaign to help her defeat a conservative challenger, and spent $20 million on a safe Republican Alabama seat to elect the establishment’s preferred candidate. Meanwhile, McConnell cut funds for anti-establishment candidates such as Blake Masters in Arizona (who might have voted against McConnell as Senate majority leader). Masters spent $7 million, and his Democratic opponent spent $73 million. This lopsided campaign spending dynamic existed across the country, including in the Georgia, New Hampshire, and Nevada Senate races.

Real Populism, Not Performative
The reason Republicans underperformed, and will keep underperforming until something changes, is that they have broadly rejected populism — which is what put Trump in the White House in 2016, not his personality. The populism on the campaign trail hit a brick wall in Washington. McConnell has bragged that he steered Trump away from the populist items Trump was elected on. So did former House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wis., who allegedly worked behind the scenes to slow Trump’s border wall.

Even Trump, aside from blockage by establishment Republicans and his terrible personnel choices, failed to govern as a populist. Yes, he had positive achievements like China tariffs (hated by the GOP establishment and Wall Street), but in his last year in office he was adding troops to the Middle East and Africa, and his signature legislative achievement was a corporate tax cut that enriched the senior employees of large corporations who largely hate his voters (the accompanying small business tax cuts were not permanent, while the corporate cuts were permanent). Trump’s 2020 campaign was starkly different than his 2016 campaign, and gone was the messaging that Trump would take on a corrupt system. In Trump’s 2020 campaign, he ran on himself.

Source:  https://thefederalist.com/2022/11/21/republicans-lose-because-theyre-fake-populists-with-no-real-policy-plans/

Offline roamer_1

Populism is doom. And it is antithetical to Conservatism.
Counter to this article, it is no surprise it's a loser.

It always has been.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 09:36:21 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Says the self-prolaimed proponent of the winning "Preach & Wait" strategy.   88devil

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Not true!

Most of the ones that are anti-trumpers plan to agree with the Dims on policy issues. Their incomes and future  elections depend on it.

In return for a cut of the spoils and a guarantee of no election challenge come the next election,of course.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!

It always has been.

You are absolutely correct. Until the GOP gets back to their conservative values they will continue to lose.  Florida is a great example. DeSantis won on his conservative values and stuck to his conservative principles. Conservatism won overwhelmingly.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline roamer_1

You are absolutely correct. Until the GOP gets back to their conservative values they will continue to lose.  Florida is a great example. DeSantis won on his conservative values and stuck to his conservative principles. Conservatism won overwhelmingly.

That's right. Wrapping someone in the Conservative mantle only works if they're legit.
 :beer:

Offline roamer_1

Says the self-prolaimed proponent of the winning "Preach & Wait" strategy.   88devil

Nah @Right_in_Virginia ... I am of the 'Throw the Bastards Out' strategy. That's what I have preached, and what I am waiting for. Not throw the bastards back in because they are better than the alternative... Which seems to be the argument from the populists.

Offline aligncare

Getting the ship of state turned back in the right direction requires smooth, incremental course corrections.  If the pilot is not careful, a sudden lurch could cause sea sickness and eventual mutiny.

I have no idea what I just said or why I said it.   :shrug:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The Core Battle Within the Republican Party

November 21, 2022 | sundance

An inflection point is coming. In preparation for what we are about to witness, it is critical to understand that both the DNC and RNC are private corporations with no affiliation to government.

It is a difficult shift in thinking to appropriately understand, but the party system in U.S. politics revolves around two clubs that feed from the same corporate trough and position for influence and affluence within a political dynamic they control.

The priority for both clubs, Republican and Democrat, is NOT primarily ideological. In the modern era, the corporate priority first begins with a battle over who controls each corporation.

As long as there is no challenge, the clubs operate without issue. However, when there is a battle for control of the corporation, a battle that will ultimately determine the financial outcome, the internal battle becomes the priority.

2024 is going to be the election season when we see this corporate battle explode inside in the Republican group. Decades of entrenched power are at stake, and there has been four years of counter positioning and backroom discussion leading up to this moment.

As a consequence, and I know this might sound odd to many people – but winning and/or losing elections becomes a secondary issue. The RNC is not focused on winning elections. The RNC corporation is focused on retaining control...

Excerpt: Rest at headline link.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
It's ALL about who controls the $$$ flowing out of the treasury and who gets it.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Republicans Lose Because They’re Fake Populists with No Real Policy Plans
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2022, 02:16:22 am »
The Core Battle Within the Republican Party

November 21, 2022 | sundance

An inflection point is coming. In preparation for what we are about to witness, it is critical to understand that both the DNC and RNC are private corporations with no affiliation to government.

It is a difficult shift in thinking to appropriately understand, but the party system in U.S. politics revolves around two clubs that feed from the same corporate trough and position for influence and affluence within a political dynamic they control.

The priority for both clubs, Republican and Democrat, is NOT primarily ideological. In the modern era, the corporate priority first begins with a battle over who controls each corporation.

As long as there is no challenge, the clubs operate without issue. However, when there is a battle for control of the corporation, a battle that will ultimately determine the financial outcome, the internal battle becomes the priority.

2024 is going to be the election season when we see this corporate battle explode inside in the Republican group. Decades of entrenched power are at stake, and there has been four years of counter positioning and backroom discussion leading up to this moment.

As a consequence, and I know this might sound odd to many people – but winning and/or losing elections becomes a secondary issue. The RNC is not focused on winning elections. The RNC corporation is focused on retaining control...

Excerpt: Rest at headline link.

@Bigun

Thank you for posting this. It is the most concise description of how the system is set up that I have ever read.

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2022, 03:31:59 pm »
DC_Draino
@DC_Draino

“But why would Republicans in Maricopa, the US Senate, and US House intentionally work against fellow Republicans?”

B/c they are bought and paid controlled opposition

MAGA is an uprising within the GOP and they’re trying to snuff it out with rigged elections so they can say “see? MAGA doesn’t work, let’s go back to the old way”

It’s not happening though - MAGA is an awakening never before seen in this country

It’s only getting bigger, stronger, and more capable

The good guys win in the end

Nov 21, 2022, 12:12 PM

https://truthsocial.com/@DC_Draino/posts/109382909002403005

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2022, 03:37:55 pm »
Republicans lose because they have failed leaders and "strategery-ist" like Trump, McConnell, and McCarthy.

None of this crap will change until we wipe the slate clean.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2022, 03:42:32 pm »
Republicans lose because they have failed leaders and "strategery-ist" like Trump, McConnell, and McCarthy.

None of this crap will change until we wipe the slate clean.

Pro-tip:  You need to buy a vowel.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2022, 06:11:34 pm »

@catfish1957

True!

MACHO MOBETTA to keep lectin Republicans wid manners dat weeze can cont on,like Mitch,the Bitch.