Author Topic: Christian Church Publishes a Prayer Promoting 'Grateful' Assisted Suicide  (Read 382 times)

Offline Kamaji

Christian Church Publishes a Prayer Promoting 'Grateful' Assisted Suicide

By Alex Parker
November 20, 2022

Churches help people do lots of things, including — as it turns out — kill themselves.

If you’re unfamiliar with the Bible-based United Church of Canada, here’s information from its website:

The United Church celebrates two sacraments — baptism and communion — by which we encounter the presence and goodness of God.

Each person is a unique, loved creation of God; we welcome all people to the full life of Christian community, including marriage.

Following the example of Jesus, we believe that we strengthen one another to work, through God’s grace, for a better world.

God’s endless generosity to us encourages our own response to contribute in many ways to God’s mission in God’s world.

Part of that mission, it appears, is to encourage people in suicide. Hence, amid loosening laws governing Canada’s Medical Assistance in Dying (MAID) program, the church has published its Prayer in the Midst of Fear. The supplication was co-created by Sheila Noyes, former co-president of Dying With Dignity Canada. Call it a twist on the 23rd Psalm:

I am afraid. I feel fear penetrating my mind and my heart. I feel fear in my gut.

I am afraid to die. I do not know what lies beyond the barrier of death. I am afraid to release myself to the great unknown.

I am heartbroken and afraid to leave my family. I am still needed!

I have let go of hope for healing, and I hold on to hope for the next life.

I am afraid that my family and loved ones, children and grandchildren will be troubled when I tell them I plan to die using medical aid in dying…

But, in the midst of my fear, I have hope that my family and loved ones, children and grandchildren will understand the choice to end my suffering.

I hope they will be proud of my decision and will understand that MAID is consistent with the love and compassion of Jesus. I have such peace in knowing this is my choice. My family loves me but they cannot feel my suffering, they cannot comprehend my helplessness.

I have hope and assurances that my death will be gentle. I am grateful that I can make this choice, for I am terrified of dying in pain and being helpless.

It’s a curious contribution by a group based on a book touting not only life, but life more abundant. Then again, regarding religion, these are the days of revolution:

Source:  https://redstate.com/alexparker/2022/11/20/christian-church-publishes-a-prayer-promoting-grateful-assisted-suicide-n661962

Offline Kamaji

Re: Christian Church Publishes a Prayer Promoting 'Grateful' Assisted Suicide
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 03:34:44 pm »
Methinks the headline should really read "Former Christian Church ...."

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2022, 05:02:40 pm »
I wonder if they have a statue of saint Jim Jones in their church?

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2022, 05:05:17 pm »
I wonder if they have a statue of saint Jim Jones in their church?

More like Baal, Ishtar, and Molech.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2022, 05:58:06 pm »
More like Baal, Ishtar, and Molech.
Well no doubt them also, but I don't believe you could say the sacrifices to them were assisted suicide while Jimmy...

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2022, 07:21:47 pm »
Even that may be a stretch.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org