Author Topic: Suburban Mom Handcuffed, Jailed for Making 8-Year-Old Son Walk Half a Mile Home  (Read 415 times)

Offline Kamaji

Suburban Mom Handcuffed, Jailed for Making 8-Year-Old Son Walk Half a Mile Home

Heather Wallace plead guilty to child endangerment and can no longer work with kids.

LENORE SKENAZY

Heather Wallace's oldest son, 8-year-old Aiden, was driving his two brothers crazy in the car as they all returned from karate one afternoon in October 2021. Wallace asked Aiden to walk the rest of the way home—half a mile in quiet, suburban Waco, Texas—so that he could calm down.

For this she was arrested, handcuffed, and thrown in jail.

She was charged with endangering a child, a felony carrying a mandatory minimum of two years in prison.

"It really brought us into deep trauma," says Wallace.

She is finally able to speak out after completing a six-month pretrial diversion program to get the charges dropped. But her arrest remains on the books—easily searchable by employers—which is disastrous for someone with a Bachelor's degree in education.

Here is how the events unfolded.

Aiden agreed to walk home; after all, it was something he had done many times. There are sidewalks the entire way, and practically zero traffic.

But 15 minutes later, two cops knocked on Wallace's door. Her son was in their patrol car. Another officer was parked across the street.

A woman one block away had called the cops to report a boy walking outside alone. That lady had actually asked Aiden where he lived, verified that it was just down the street, and proceeded to call nonetheless. The cops picked up Aiden on his own block.

As they stood on her porch, the officers told Wallace that her son could have been kidnapped and sex trafficked. "'You don't see much sex trafficking where you are, but where I patrol in downtown Waco, we do,'" said one of the cops, according to Wallace.

Source:  https://reason.com/2022/11/16/suburban-mom-jailed-handcuffed-cps-son-walk-home/

Offline Kamaji

What is wrong with people these days?!?!?  An 8 y.o. is more than capable of walking home in his own g-d-damned neighborhood.

Offline mountaineer

A rare exception to the helicopter parent generation, and see what happens.  **nononono*
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
What is wrong with people these days?!?!?  An 8 y.o. is more than capable of walking home in his own g-d-damned neighborhood.
We walked twice that far unless the weather was bad, just to get to the school bus stop where we waited on the side of the road for the bus to come. Sheesh!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

Not to mention how f**ked up the neighbor who dobbed her in is.  If you're concerned about a neighbor's kid out alone, you don't call the cops.  You walk with the kid to his/her home, knock on the door, and make sure he/she gets in safely.  YOU DON'T CALL THE COPS ON THE PARENTS!

Offline mountaineer

We walked twice that far unless the weather was bad, just to get to the school bus stop where we waited on the side of the road for the bus to come. Sheesh!
Yep. When I was 8 in the San Fernando Valley of California, I walked through a college campus to get to my school, which was 2 miles from home. Probably wouldn't be very safe today.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
If she'd just taken him in for hormone blockers and reassignment surgery, she'd be in the clear.

Yes, folks, that's how frigging insane this crap is.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

"'You don't see much sex trafficking where you are, but where I patrol in downtown Waco, we do,'" said one of the cops, according to Wallace.

THEN WHY IN THE HELL AREN'T YOU IN DOWNTOWN WACO RIGHT NOW MAKING ARRESTS????
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-