Author Topic: Dreamers call for immigration reform before Republicans take control in Congress  (Read 223 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Dreamers call for immigration reform before Republicans take control in Congress
By Shannon Young
Published November 18, 2022 at 4:33 PM MST

LISTEN • 9:24
2DACARallyGWS2019_AlexHagerKAJX.JPG
Alex Hager
/
Aspen Public Radio
Participants at a DACA rally in Glenwood Springs, November 2019.
With Republicans set to take control of the House in January, Democrats are racing to introduce immigration legislation that would protect the so-called Dreamers, people enrolled in the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program.

DACA was introduced by the Obama administration a decade ago and grants temporary status to those who meet the stringent qualification criteria.

Immigrant rights activists and DACA recipients, including many from Colorado, gathered in DC this week, to call on lawmakers to prioritize immigration reform.

One of them was Fort Collins resident and DACA recipient Jesus Castro, a community organizer originally from the Mexican state of Sinaloa.

He spoke with Shannon Young about the DACA program and what’s at stake.

https://www.aspenpublicradio.org/government/2022-11-18/dreamers-call-for-immigration-reform-before-republicans-take-control-in-congress
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Congress isn't going to do jack squat.  If they do, it will be meaningless.  They get too much face time on TV to change it.  It's a football they toss back and forth without concern for push back. 034
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson