Author Topic: FDA Declares Lab-Grown Chicken ‘Safe to Eat’ — But Scientists, Food Safety Advocates Have Questions  (Read 710 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

11/18/22

FDA Declares Lab-Grown Chicken ‘Safe to Eat’ — But Scientists, Food Safety Advocates Have Questions

Describing the development as “a food revolution,” the U.S. Food and Drug Administration on Wednesday said chicken produced using animal cell culture technology that takes living cells from chickens and grows the cells in a controlled environment is safe for human consumption.

By
Michael Nevradakis, Ph.D.

Describing the development as “a food revolution,” the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on Wednesday declared lab-grown chicken meat developed by Berkeley, California-based food-tech firm Upside Foods is safe for human consumption.

Upside Foods “will use animal cell culture technology to take living cells from chickens and grow the cells in a controlled environment to make the cultured animal cell food,” the FDA said.

https://childrenshealthdefense.org/defender/lab-grown-chicken-meat-fda-safety/?utm_source=salsa&eType=EmailBlastContent&eId=94e06a43-2462-4d89-88af-afbe884172eb
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
The same FDA that told us Ivermectin and Hydroxychloroquine would kill us so we wouldn't use them to fight Covid FDA? I wouldn't trust anything they told me after that.

I used to watch a show called Eureka and one episode had a plot where everyone was made an idiot because of lab created chicken they ate  :pondering: I doubt that reality will follow science fiction, but....
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 12:53:12 am by GtHawk »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The same FDA that told us Ivermectin and Hydroxychloroquine would kill us so we wouldn't use them to fight Covid FDA? I wouldn't trust anything they told me after that.

I used to watch a show called Eureka and one episode had a plot where everyone was made an idiot because of lab created chicken they ate  :pondering: I doubt that reality will follow science fiction, but....

I recently had a conversation with my long time (30+ years) doctor about my trust in the medical profession 5 years ago vs today. Let's just say it was an interesting conversation and we remain friends.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
No doubt it is "safe and effective" TM.

////00000////
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

Like raising chickens the regular way is so hard...

I don't really even know how many are in the freezer right now.
Thanks... I'll keep doing it old skool.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Idiot townies - just raise the dang thing yourself already.
The Republic is lost.

Offline GtHawk

Like raising chickens the regular way is so hard...

I don't really even know how many are in the freezer right now.
Thanks... I'll keep doing it old skool.
It's not that it's hard, it's that it's so cruel and inhumane according to the wankers like PeopleEatingTastyAnimals, you know the same people that 'rescue' thousands of pets a year from shelters and in an act of love kills them and throws them into dumpsters. Or those that release thousand of mink into the wild wreaking havoc on the surrounding ecosystem and no doubt causing the deaths of most them anyway.

Offline roamer_1

It's not that it's hard, it's that it's so cruel and inhumane according to the wankers like PeopleEatingTastyAnimals, you know the same people that 'rescue' thousands of pets a year from shelters and in an act of love kills them and throws them into dumpsters. Or those that release thousand of mink into the wild wreaking havoc on the surrounding ecosystem and no doubt causing the deaths of most them anyway.

Yeah.... Well I prefer the 'One Bad Day' philosophy. Every farm animal trades a life of relative ease and comparative longevity for the certitude of an extraordinarily more humane death and one bad day.

If you think farm life and death is inhumane, then you've never seen a pack of coyotes tear a deer apart while it is still alive. Farm life is nothing but humane.

Offline GtHawk

Yeah.... Well I prefer the 'One Bad Day' philosophy. Every farm animal trades a life of relative ease and comparative longevity for the certitude of an extraordinarily more humane death and one bad day.

If you think farm life and death is inhumane, then you've never seen a pack of coyotes tear a deer apart while it is still alive. Farm life is nothing but humane.
Hey a humane death is sometimes more than humans get, the only absolute guarantee in life is death. They have already mandated that chickens, at least egg layers are free range and I guess a few more cents is not to much for getting them out of tight little cages. My parents had friends that owned an egg ranch and even as a kid it seemed cruel. Bottom line I seem to recall something about man being given dominion over animals, not that animals were to be treated as our equal.

Offline roamer_1

Hey a humane death is sometimes more than humans get, the only absolute guarantee in life is death. They have already mandated that chickens, at least egg layers are free range and I guess a few more cents is not to much for getting them out of tight little cages. My parents had friends that owned an egg ranch and even as a kid it seemed cruel. Bottom line I seem to recall something about man being given dominion over animals, not that animals were to be treated as our equal.

Well, first off, an egg farm is not farm. That is industry. Assembly line. Not knocking it necessarily, but actual farms have always raised free-range chickens... Where possible anyway. The coop and the house are for the collection of eggs and night time protection as a general rule. Most farms turn the chickens out of the pen to forage during the day.

And if that ain't possible due to predator pressure, the chickens are still fed a wide variety of greens and meats in the shape of garden scraps and kitchen scraps. And generally the pen size is directly proportioned by how often it would need to be cleaned out. Kept chickens tend to have a larger pen for that purpose - The amount of time it takes to turn the floor of the pen to compost is the key. If you clean out your pen and the sh*t is hot, then you either need to leave it uncleaned longer, or you need a larger pen. Because the floor of that pen should be putting out compost.

Our layers are kept penned. Our meat birds are in chicken tractors. Neither is inhumane treatment.