Author Topic: The Sky Warden: “An Up-Armored Crop Duster With Rocket Launchers”  (Read 445 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Lawrence Person's BattleSwarm Blog 11/18/2022

At first, I was not at all enthused about the Air Force’s new Sky Warden platform, a step back to a single-seat, propeller-driven combat aircraft not used since the Douglas A-1 Skyraider was retired in 1973. Some background:

U.S. Special Operations Command on Monday announced it has selected the AT-802U Sky Warden, made by L3Harris Technologies and Air Tractor, for its Armed Overwatch program.

The indefinite delivery, indefinite quantity contract will be worth up to $3 billion, L3Harris said in a release Monday. The initial program contract award is for $170 million.

Air Tractor is an aircraft manufacturer from Olney, Texas, that typically makes firefighting aircraft and agricultural planes such as crop dusters.

----

When I heard that the Air Force was considering going back to a prop plane for a ground attack aircraft, I thought that: A.) This was a sign of their continuing disdain for the A-10, and B.) This was a role better suited for drones that manned aircraft, and thus the Air Force wanted it only to keep their institutional budget up, since anyone can fly a drone.

However, if it’s specifically geared toward supporting special forces operations, then the move makes a lot more sense. In that case, you need the hyper-loiter capabilities, and larger drones can be of limited use if you’re out of line-of-radio-control (say, in mountainous terrain) and you don’t have them set up for satellite relay.

Here’s a YouTuber who’s quite enthusiastic about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwpQlMHXUJM&t=1s

•  “That is an up-armored crop duster with rocket launchers on it. It looks like somebody maxed out the starter item in a video game.”

•  “It’s got bulletproof windows, a heavily armored cabin engine compartment, self-healing fuel lines [and] reinforced landing gear allowing you to land virtually anywhere. And it absolutely packed with ISR [intelligence surveillance and reconnaissance] equipment, [basically] making this a spy plane.”

•  “The standard payload is currently set to be 14 APK WS laser-guided Hydra rockets.”

•  “It’s basically an acoustic version of an F-22.”

•  It can loiter about 6 hours, as opposed to 1.5 hours for the A-10.

•  It’s also cheaper: “For every hour the A10 is in the air, there’s $20,000 in maintenance to be done. Compare that to the Sky Warden, which is less than $1,000 per flight.”

•  “Nobody wants to be the guy getting murked by a plane with a propeller in 2022. If you wake up dead, and you got to explain to all your buddies in the afterlife you got taken out by an A-10 Warthog, that’s respectable. You tell them you got taken out by a crop duster, they’re gonna talk shit for the rest of Eternity. ‘Hey guys, you hear that Groot over here got taken out by the bleep Wright Brothers.'”

The Pentagon is spending $3 million for the program, which is a lot of cheddar by normal people standards, but nothing by Pentagon standards. Being the biggest and baddest on the bloc means you can buy niche role weapons like this.

While it remains to be seen if this is effective in modern combat, it’s hardly the first time the U.S. military has done this. In World War II, spotter pilot Charles Carpenter put bazookas on his Piper Cub and successfully took out panzers.

(Trivia: The last P-51 used by the U.S. military was actually used by the army as a chase aircraft for helicopters in 1968.)

More: https://www.battleswarmblog.com/?p=53119

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: The Sky Warden: “An Up-Armored Crop Duster With Rocket Launchers”
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2022, 01:53:21 pm »
The sound you are hearing is me,an old grunt,standing up and applauding.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2022, 02:12:28 pm »
I knew you would be pleased.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 02:17:42 pm »
I knew you would be pleased.

@Elderberry

Due to age and being partially crippled,I had to restrain myself from jumping up and breaking into a little "happy dance".

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2022, 02:19:29 pm »
So what are we going to do with the 30MM?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2022, 04:17:13 pm »
So what are we going to do with the 30MM?

@EdinVA

They will still be a part of the fastmovers armaments,and I suspect there will be a couple attached to the prop planes before it's over.

Aircraft armament isn't really my "thing",though.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2022, 05:05:33 pm »
@EdinVA

They will still be a part of the fastmovers armaments,and I suspect there will be a couple attached to the prop planes before it's over.

Aircraft armament isn't really my "thing",though.
@sneakypete
I dealt with a lot of 20mm and they are over 2k lbs and probably 2+ feet tall so I imagine a 30mm would be half again as much.. It does not look like this plane is high enough off the ground to hang it underneath nor is the fuselage big enough to hide it inside.
Hope we are not just going to get rid of it.....

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2022, 06:52:41 pm »
Air support is nice, but the A-10 was designed to be an anti-armor platform. Depleted Uranium 30 mm is pretty hard on armor, especially up top were it is thinnest.

Considering NATO and Taiwan are the hot spots, yeah, coming up against armor is likely. I bet that 30mm would tear landing craft a new one, too, not to mention shipping.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2022, 08:04:10 pm »
@sneakypete
I dealt with a lot of 20mm and they are over 2k lbs and probably 2+ feet tall so I imagine a 30mm would be half again as much.. It does not look like this plane is high enough off the ground to hang it underneath nor is the fuselage big enough to hide it inside.
Hope we are not just going to get rid of it.....

@EdinVA

Truth to tell,even the 20mm cannons are of limited use in an aircraft like this,which is primarily going to be used for close air support for troops in a forrested/swamp/jungle environment. Their primary job will be the suppression of enemy fire on troops surrounded and in trouble. The 20mm and larger cannons are primarily of use against armor.

Truth to tell,from MY POV,reducing the weight of the 20 and 30 MM cannons allows the aircraft to carry more 50 cal and 30 cal rounds,which is FAR more effective against troops. Especially in a wooded area where it will literally cut down small trees.

AND.......,once you have shredded enough of the "scenery",the fast movers can start moving in because they can actually see where to put their bombs and rockets.

You will never find a "One Size Fits All" aircraft,no matter how hard the USAF tries to pretend it is all about zoomies.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2022, 12:02:08 am »
@Elderberry

Due to age and being partially crippled,I had to restrain myself from jumping up and breaking into a little "happy dance".
Pete it is perfectly acceptable in your case to remain sitting and allow your feet to dance the happy dance as much as they like :patriot: