Author Topic: Lawmaker pushes plan to cap attorney fees for Camp Lejeune lawsuits  (Read 173 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Lawmaker pushes plan to cap attorney fees for Camp Lejeune lawsuits
By Leo Shane III
 Thursday, Nov 17

Marine Corps veteran Sen. Dan Sullivan plans to introduce legislation capping attorneys’ fees for claims related to injuries from water contamination at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, saying veterans and their families need to be protected from “blood suckers” and predatory lawyers looking to take advantage of them.

“You can’t turn on any TV station in America without seeing these ads,” said Sullivan, R-Alaska, during an emotional speech at the Senate Veterans’ Affairs Committee hearing on Wednesday. “I’m hearing they’re charging 40 to 50 percent contingency fees.

“So sick Marines get nothing, and trial lawyers get rich.”

At issue is a provision signed into law in August as part of the Promise to Address Comprehensive Toxics Act, better known as the PACT Act.

https://www.militarytimes.com/veterans/2022/11/17/lawmaker-pushes-plan-to-cap-attorney-fees-for-camp-lejeune-lawsuits/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Lawmaker pushes plan to cap attorney fees for Camp Lejeune lawsuits
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2022, 09:39:24 am »
What's with Camp Lejeune?  I haven't heard anything about it. 000hehehehe
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson