Author Topic: Trump vs. DeSantis: How the two GOP heavyweights match up  (Read 3960 times)

Online Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
Trump vs. DeSantis: How the two GOP heavyweights match up
« on: November 19, 2022, 03:27:42 pm »
Trump vs. DeSantis: How the two GOP heavyweights match up

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/3740984-trump-vs-desantis-how-the-two-gop-heavyweights-match-up/

Two years out from the next presidential election, the leading contenders on the Republican side are already clear.

At this early stage, it’s a two-horse race between former President Trump and Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis.

Trump launched his 2024 campaign at Mar-a-Lago on Tuesday. He is aiming to avenge his 2020 defeat and become the first president since Grover Cleveland to serve nonconsecutive terms.

DeSantis won a resounding victory in his reelection battle on Election Day, crushing his Democratic opponent, Charlie Crist, by about 20 points. The result sent a powerful signal about his likely electability in 2024.

There is one obvious difference between the two. DeSantis has not yet said he will seek the presidency.

If he does, he would plainly be Trump’s most serious rival.

(snip)

DeSantis has been catapulted past Trump in several polls after Trump suffered a poor outcome in the midterms.

A number of the former president’s high-profile endorsees lost. Several party figures, including Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan and former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, have suggested Trump is harming the party’s brand.

The popularity shift from Trump to DeSantis was especially stark in several polls commissioned in early primary states by the conservative Club for Growth.

A poll in Iowa put DeSantis 11 points clear of Trump, a marked turnaround from a similar poll in August when the Florida governor had been behind by 15 points.

In the most recent poll in New Hampshire, DeSantis led by around 15 points, despite the two candidates having been tied in August.

National polls point in a similar direction.

An Economist-YouGov poll this week indicated that 46 percent of Republican voters would prefer DeSantis to be the nominee, compared to 39 percent who would favor Trump.

The Economist poll also exposed Trump’s Achilles’ heel: the sheer number of people who dislike him.

Excerpt.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline libertybele

Re: Trump vs. DeSantis: How the two GOP heavyweights match up
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2022, 05:59:01 pm »
Polls are polls and are manipulated by the MSM.  DeSantis has not announced that he is running. I don't think he'll run in '24, especially with Trump announcing.

Cruz also stated that he wouldn't run against Trump.

Trump selecting either DeSantis or Cruz as a running mate would be extremely helpful to seating a GOP in '24 -- just my opinion.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online DB

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2022, 06:03:07 pm »
Polls are polls and are manipulated by the MSM.  DeSantis has not announced that he is running. I don't think he'll run in '24, especially with Trump announcing.

Cruz also stated that he wouldn't run against Trump.

Trump selecting either DeSantis or Cruz as a running mate would be extremely helpful to seating a GOP in '24 -- just my opinion.

Both would be fools to accept the invite.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2022, 06:11:14 pm »

I disagree.  In as much as I seriously take issue with Trump currently attacking conservatives, selecting either would unite the party which is needed, BIGLY! 

Do I think Trump should pass the baton and the MAGA movement to a younger, more conservative Republican with less baggage? Absolutely. I believe the GOP needed another candidate running in the primaries, but, Trump has already announced he's running. Any conservative running against him will only splinter the party and that is the last thing that the GOP needs.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2022, 06:28:31 pm »
There is currently no Trump vs DeSantis race but the Democrats and their propaganda arm (MSM) are sure as hell trying to foment one!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2022, 07:24:19 pm »

It would be foolish to invite either onto a national ticket.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2022, 08:28:00 pm »
There is currently no Trump vs DeSantis race but the Democrats and their propaganda arm (MSM) are sure as hell trying to foment one!

Over the next 18 months, the Dems will do whatever it takes to prop up Trump as the GOP candidate.  After that, all hell breaks loose.  Trump is their best shot at keeping the White House.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online corbe

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2022, 08:52:33 pm »
   Neither of these two are stupid enough to hitch aboard the Trump Train.  He is a Political Career ender.   ie....Pence.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2022, 10:34:16 pm »

That's right. Cruz has almost damaged himself irreparably over his support for Tump.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2022, 10:46:42 pm »
I disagree.  In as much as I seriously take issue with Trump currently attacking conservatives, selecting either would unite the party which is needed, BIGLY! 

Unity for the sake of unity, or for the sake of a man is wrong.
Unity around false principles is doom.

If you want unity, the Principles of Conservatism await.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2022, 10:55:43 pm »
Unity for the sake of unity, or for the sake of a man is wrong.
Unity around false principles is doom.

If you want unity, the Principles of Conservatism await.

Point taken.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2022, 11:05:13 pm »
The Hill?
No thanks.

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2022, 03:10:02 am »
   Neither of these two are stupid enough to hitch aboard the Trump Train.  He is a Political Career ender.   ie....Pence.

Trump didn't end Pence's political career ---- Pence did.

There's a civil war blazing for the soul of he Republican party and "ie.... Pence" has chosen the wrong side----he's decided to swim in the deep end of the corrupt, Uniparty swamp.  Pence will never get this stench off himself;  and he has only himself to blame.

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2022, 03:16:00 am »
That's right. Cruz has almost damaged himself irreparably over his support for Tump.

Nope.  Cruz damaged himself by not supporting Trump.  "Vote your conscience" was a deep, self-infliicted political wound. 

Online Timber Rattler

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2022, 02:08:29 pm »
Nope.  Cruz damaged himself by not supporting Trump.  "Vote your conscience" was a deep, self-infliicted political wound.

So remind me again who's still in office as a U.S. Senator from Texas and who is wallowing in political exile as a disgraced ex-President?
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2022, 02:26:09 pm »

@libertybele

Why WOULD he run,when chances are Trump will pick him for his VP,and he ends up spending 3 terms in the WH anyhow,with two of them as President?

Or he could just wait out the end of Trump's one term as the Gov of Florida,and THEN run?

He HAS to know that he runs against Trump it is going to cost him a LOT of the votes he would have gotten if he hadn't.

Mine will be one of them. I would vote Dim before I would vote for him if he does that.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 02:29:04 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2022, 02:31:34 pm »
Over the next 18 months, the Dems will do whatever it takes to prop up Trump as the GOP candidate.  After that, all hell breaks loose.  Trump is their best shot at keeping the White House.

@Hoodat

The scary part is you really do believe that.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2022, 02:35:31 pm »
Trump didn't end Pence's political career ---- Pence did.

@Right_in_Virginia

Yeah,but what the hell,let's blame it on Trump,anyhow!

After all,you DO know he is rude,right?

What we need in Presidential politics is more manners. Candidates should not call each other names or make implications as to wrong doing.

To quote that famous 'murikan Rodney King,"Ca....ca....cain't we all juz gitalong?"

HEY! Is Rodney doing anything these days? Maybe we can get him to run?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 02:39:48 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Idiot

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2022, 02:36:40 pm »
@Hoodat

The scary part is you really do believe that.
I believe it as well....

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2022, 02:37:40 pm »
So remind me again who's still in office as a U.S. Senator from Texas and who is wallowing in political exile as a disgraced ex-President?

@Timber Rattler

WHOA,MISSY! That one really blew your skirts up and revealed you as the Pence follower you are.

Which explains a lot about you.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2022, 02:44:13 pm »
The really sad part is that I used to really like Pence.  I like Cruz as well but my brother tells me that his friends that work for Cruz say he's quite obnoxious.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2022, 02:48:29 pm »
The really sad part is that I used to really like Pence.  I like Cruz as well but my brother tells me that his friends that work for Cruz say he's quite obnoxious.

Ted Cruz is wicked smart and doesn't tolerate a lot of BS. Some people think that to be obnoxious but I'm not one of those people.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Timber Rattler

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2022, 02:58:41 pm »

@Timber Rattler

WHOA,MISSY! That one really blew your skirts up and revealed you as the Pence follower you are.

Which explains a lot about you.

Yeah, so what?  I like Mike Pence too.  He's got courage, and more importantly, integrity, which is a completely foreign concept to mob boss Trump.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2022, 03:23:17 pm »
Yeah, so what?  I like Mike Pence too.  He's got courage, and more importantly, integrity, which is a completely foreign concept to mob boss Trump.

@Timber Rattler

That's funny!

BTW,both Stalin and Hitler had courage and integrity.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2022, 03:50:39 pm »

Disgraced can mean so many different things in politics.

That disgraced ex-president is the guy who garnered 80 plus million votes in the 2020 presidential race, only to have it stolen from him.  So, yeah, Trump’s not in office.  But, I wouldn’t count him out if I were you.  Trump 2024.