Author Topic: Fertilizing the oceans with iron could help remove a gigaton of carbon dioxide per year  (Read 602 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Which would leave phytoplankton a gigaton less Carbon Dioxide to use in maintaining not only a fundament of the food chain, but in producing oxygen.

Not only is the fixation on Carbon Dioxide as a pollutant deeply flawed, but tinkering with atmospheric gas balances and the most fundamental chemistry of 70% of the Earth's surface is insanity.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

How much iron would be required?

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Which would leave phytoplankton a gigaton less Carbon Dioxide to use in maintaining not only a fundament of the food chain, but in producing oxygen.

Not only is the fixation on Carbon Dioxide as a pollutant deeply flawed, but tinkering with atmospheric gas balances and the most fundamental chemistry of 70% of the Earth's surface is insanity.

:yowsa:  pointing-up
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Hoodat

Fertilizing the oceans with iron could help remove a gigaton of carbon dioxide per year

Plankton already does that.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
From experience I can tell you that an abundance iron in water is not a good thing in terms of the bacteria that it breeds, for starters.

Other living things higher up the food chain don't really thrive on it either.
The Republic is lost.

Offline aligncare

I was going to say ludicrous but insane is more accurate.

I’m not big on Bible quotes but there’s gotta be a ton addressing the vanity of man.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I was going to say ludicrous but insane is more accurate.

I’m not big on Bible quotes but there’s gotta be a ton addressing the vanity of man.
Someone should write the sci-fi where the aliens came to Earth and pretended to be saving the planet even as they were modifying the climate and chemistry to something more hostile to humans so they could invade en masse.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline aligncare

Someone should write the sci-fi where the aliens came to Earth and pretended to be saving the planet even as they were modifying the climate and chemistry to something more hostile to humans so they could invade en masse.

Great storyline.  The idea would be an easy sell to audiences grown up on climate hysteria.  Curse those SUV’s!

Offline Kamaji

Oooh!  I like it!  Can I steal the idea?

Offline ironhorsedriver

We started seeding the oceans with iron in WWI and more so in WWII.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Smokin Joe

What was that tagline we all heard on our tv's back in the 70's? Wasn't it,"It's not nice to fool with Mother Nature!"?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline The_Reader_David

A mad scheme because of the unknown consequences for the whole of life in the ocean.

The only geoengineering schemes that make sense to consider are those that can easily be turned off:  either orbital mylar mirrors/shades that can be furled, unfurled and repositioned, or the much cheaper scheme of increasing the sulphur content of jet fuel used on great circle routes over the arctic (and possibly antarctic) to increase cloud formation.  (The effects of the latter dissipate rapidly if we went back to the current jet fuel mixture on those routes.)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 02:41:49 pm by The_Reader_David »
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
The Arrival https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115571/?ref_=ttls_li_tt starring Charlie Sheen had the story line of liens terraforming the Earth by increasing the temperature to be inimicable to humans but supportive of them so that they could displace human life. I doubt that it was the first along those lines.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 10:15:55 pm by GtHawk »