Author Topic: F-35 costs have been declining. That’s about to change.  (Read 104 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
F-35 costs have been declining. That’s about to change.
« on: November 19, 2022, 12:11:30 pm »
Defense News Logo

F-35 costs have been declining. That’s about to change.

Inside Air Force Plant 4, where Lockheed Martin builds F-35 fighters and tries to recover from the pandemic
By Stephen Losey
 Nov 18, 01:22 PM

FORT WORTH, Texas — On a mile-long production line in Fort Worth, Texas, the next wave of the U.S. and allied militaries’ F-35 Joint Strike Fighter fleets takes shape.

Dozens of nascent fighters, coated almost entirely in sea-green primer, work their way north through Air Force Plant 4, a government-owned facility operated by manufacturer Lockheed Martin. They begin their journey here as a pair of wings hanging from blue platforms on the southern end. Along the way, Lockheed employees — the entire site has about 17,000 workers — add the engines, cannons, tails, rudders, lift fans, canopies, landing gear, sensors and other components that make the Lightning II the most advanced fighter jet ever made.

Plant 4 is also where Lockheed Martin has faced significant challenges, from labor and supply chain shortages spurred by the COVID-19 pandemic to the recent discovery that a key magnet in a subcontractor’s part had for years been made with an unauthorized China-sourced alloy.

https://www.defensenews.com/industry/2022/11/18/f-35-costs-have-been-declining-thats-about-to-change/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson