Author Topic: Report: Merrick Garland to Name Special Counsel on Trump; Still No Special Counsel on Hunter Biden  (Read 1410 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Report: Merrick Garland to Name Special Counsel on Trump; Still No Special Counsel on Hunter Biden

Joel B. Pollak 18 Nov 2022

Attorney General Merrick Garland reportedly plans to name a special counsel to investigate former President Donald Trump, though he has yet to name such counsel to investigate President Joe Biden or his son, Hunter.

Hunter Biden acknowledged in December 2020 that he had been under federal investigation for possible tax violations. Since then, the investigation reportedly broadened to include more of his global business dealings.

However, Attorney General Garland has declined to appoint a special counsel, despite criticism from legal scholars who say that greater political independence is needed in an inquiry involving the president’s family.

The Wall Street Journal reported Friday:

The special counsel will assess whether criminal charges are merited in connection with the handling of classified documents at Mr. Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida and oversee key aspects of the sprawling Justice Department investigation into efforts by Mr. Trump and his allies to overturn his 2020 election loss, according to a senior Justice Department official.

A formal announcement, which is expected by Friday afternoon, would come three days after Mr. Trump announced another bid for the presidency and would mark the naming of the third independent prosecutor in five years to examine issues involving Mr. Trump.

Earlier this week, the Washington Post reported —  nearly a week after the midterm election — that the Mar-a-Lago documents were of a personal interest and there was no indication that the former president intended to sell any national secrets. The story has largely been ignored.

Garland had promised at his confirmation hearing in 2021 to keep politics out of the Department of Justice.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2022/11/18/report-merrick-garland-to-name-special-counsel-on-trump-still-no-biden-special-counsel-no-hunter-biden-joe/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Jack Smith?..named Special Counsel
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Stephen Miller
@StephenM
·
1m
Special Counsel = Democrat Prosecutor running a team of more Democrat Prosecutors (with no oversight).
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
TheLeoTerrell
@TheLeoTerrell
·
21m
The appointment of a special counsel is a witchhunt against President Trump.
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Chuck Callesto
@ChuckCallesto
·
12m
BREAKING REPORT: Biden's AG Merrick Garland will appoint a SPECIAL COUNSEL to determine whether Trump should faces charges in Mar-a-Lago documents or January 6 probes..
Support the USO

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
WaPo already said there was nothing there on the docs. Gonna looks real stupid if hearings start exposing the Biden sleaze, not to mention Garland has given the GOP something to equivocate on.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Idiot

Well that didn't take long. 

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Offline Kamaji

Another politically motivated witch hunt.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Banana Republic
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EdinVA

Paging kevin mcarthy.... your up...

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EdinVA

Offline mountaineer

Garland names special counsel to lead Trump-related probes
By ERIC TUCKER and MICHAEL BALSAMO
Nov. 18 2022
Associated Press
WASHINGTON (AP) — Attorney General Merrick Garland named a special counsel on Friday to oversee the Justice Department’s investigation into the presence of classified documents at former President Donald Trump’s Florida estate as well as key aspects of a separate probe involving the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection and efforts to undo the 2020 election.

The appointment of veteran prosecutor Jack Smith, announced just three days after Trump formally launched his 2024 candidacy, is a recognition of the unmistakable political implications of two investigations that involve not only a former president but also a current White House hopeful. It installs a new chain of command over sensitive probes seen as likely to accelerate now that the midterm elections have concluded, with Garland citing Trump’s entry into the race and President Joe Biden’s stated intention to run again as reasons for Smith’s appointment.

“The Department of Justice has long recognized that in certain extraordinary cases, it is in the public’s interest to appoint a special prosecutor to independently manage an investigation and prosecution,” Garland said from the Justice Department’s podium.

Smith, who led the Justice Department’s public integrity section in Washington and later served as the acting chief federal prosecutor in Nashville, Tennessee, during the Obama administration, is set to begin his work immediately, Garland said. He has been serving since 2018 as chief prosecutor for the special court in the Hague that is tasked with investigating international war crimes.  ...
Rest of story
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

KARINE JEAN-PIERRE: "I will say this, and I've said this many times before, we do not politicize the Department of Justice."

https://twitter.com/RNCResearch/status/1593717737934950401

Offline mountaineer

Karine Jean-Pierre: Biden was not aware of the Attorney General's decision to name a special counsel.

https://twitter.com/TPostMillennial/status/1593713899437985793

That's not saying much.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
This is payback for the Biden investigations although Trump has nothing to do with it.
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
White House Defends Investigation of Donald Trump: ‘We Do Not Politicize the Department of Justice’

Charlie Spiering 18 Nov 2022

The White House insisted Friday they had nothing to do with the Justice Department’s decision to investigate former President Donald Trump.

White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said that President Joe Biden and his staff were not aware of Attorney General Merrick Garland’s announcement on Friday to appoint a Special Counsel to investigate Trump and were not given any advance notice.

“I will say this and I’ve said this many times before, we do not politicize the Department of Justice,” she said.

Jean-Pierre repeated that Biden was committed to making sure the Justice Department was independent.

“That is something that the president said during the campaign that is something that the president said in his early days of being in the White House and that continues to be true,” she said.

Garland named Deputy Assistant Attorney General of the Civil Rights Division at U.S. Department of Justice John L. Smith to lead the special counsel.

He said the special counsel would investigate whether any person illegally interfered with the transfer of power following the 2020 election as well as Trump’s possession of classified documents.

“The men and women who are pursuing these investigations are conducting themselves in accordance with the highest standards of professionalism,” Garland said in a statement. “I could not be prouder of them.”

Trump reacted to the news Thursday by refusing to “partake” in the investigation.

“It is not acceptable. It is so unfair. It is so political,” he told Fox News in an interview.

Trump, who announced his 2024 campaign for president last week, accused the Justice Department of political motivations.

“It is not even believable that they’re allowed to do this. This is the worst politicization of justice in our country,” he said.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2022/11/18/white-house-defends-investigation-of-donald-trump-we-do-not-politicize-the-department-of-justice/
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Trump explodes at special counsel appointment: ‘I am not going to partake in it’
by Brett Samuels - 11/18/22 4:43 PM ET

Former President Trump on Friday blasted the Justice Department’s appointment of a special counsel to oversee its probes on him, saying he would not “partake” in the investigations.

Trump, in an interview with Fox News Digital, suggested the appointment of a special counsel was politically motivated, despite Attorney General Merrick Garland saying he was making the announcement in an effort to ensure independence around Trump-related probes ahead of a possible 2024 rematch with President Biden.

“I have been going through this for six years — for six years I have been going through this, and I am not going to go through it anymore,” Trump said. “And I hope the Republicans have the courage to fight this.”

“I am not going to partake in it,” Trump added. “I’m not going to partake in this.”

The former president on Tuesday had formally announced he is mounting another White House campaign for 2024.

“I have never heard of such a thing. They found nothing. I announce and then they appoint a special prosecutor,” he said Friday. “They found nothing, and now they take some guy who hates Trump. This is a disgrace and only happening because I am leading in every poll in both parties.”

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/3742413-trump-explodes-at-special-counsel-appointment-i-am-not-going-to-partake-in-it/
Support the USO

Offline mountaineer

Joel Pollak
@joelpollak
According to LinkedIn, Special Counsel John L. Smith is the Deputy Assistant Attorney General of the Civil Rights Division at U.S. Department of Justice -- one of the most highly politicized, left-wing departments within the agency.
2:31 PM · Nov 18, 2022

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Who is Jack Smith, the special counsel named in the Trump investigations

By Chandelis Duster, CNN
Updated 3:12 PM EST, Fri November 18, 2022

Jack Smith, the special counsel announced by Attorney General Merrick Garland on Friday to oversee the criminal investigations into the retention of classified documents at former President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort and parts of the January 6, 2021, insurrection, has been a longtime Justice Department prosecutor.

In a statement following his announcement, Smith pledged to conduct the investigations “independently and in the best traditions of the Department of Justice.

“The pace of the investigations will not pause or flag under my watch. I will exercise independent judgment and will move the investigations forward expeditiously and thoroughly to whatever outcome the facts and the law dictate,” Smith said.

Smith began his career as an assistant district attorney with the New York County District Attorney’s Office in 1994. He joined the Eastern District of New York in 1999 as an assistant US attorney, where he prosecuted cases including civil rights violations and police officers murdered by gangs, according to the Justice Department.

Beginning in 2008, he worked for the International Criminal Court and oversaw war crimes investigations under the Office of the Prosecutor for two years. In 2010, he became chief of the Public Integrity Section of the Justice Department, where he oversaw litigation of public corruption cases before being appointed first assistant US attorney for the Middle District of Tennessee in 2015.

Smith took over as acting US Attorney when David Rivera departed in early 2017 before leaving the Justice Department later that year and becoming vice president of litigation for the Hospital Corporation of America. In 2018, he became chief prosecutor for the special court in The Hague, where he investigated war crimes in Kosovo.

“Throughout his career, Jack Smith has built a reputation as an impartial and determined prosecutor, who leads teams with energy and focus to follow the facts wherever they lead,” Garland said during the announcement on Friday. “Mr. Smith is the right choice to complete these matters in an even-handed and urgent manner.”

This story has been updated with additional background information.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/18/politics/jack-smith-special-counsel/index.html
Support the USO

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Offline libertybele

Trump announced that he is running and the witch hunt(s) will continue and they aren't going to end until he drops out of politics.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.