Author Topic: Trump's Achilles' heel? [COVID-19 Lockdown--15 Days to Flatten the Curve]  (Read 5332 times)

Offline Idiot

Re: Trump's Achilles' heel? [COVID-19 Lockdown--15 Days to Flatten the Curve]
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2022, 04:41:56 pm »
Here's Trump's press conference where it all started:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWvbLKgpQlM
Wow....15 days that ended up being 2 years.  I remember staying at home for months...seeing people on tv disinfecting their groceries on the porch before letting them in the house...not having Thanksgiving or Christmas.  I did lose a handful of friends.  A good friend died and they had no funeral...That was a pretty crappy 2 years. 
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 04:43:44 pm by mrpotatohead »

Online DB

« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2022, 04:49:36 pm »
Note that he says he contacted the governors and organized the lockdown.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2022, 04:49:40 pm »
Wow....15 days that ended up being 2 years.  I remember staying at home for months...seeing people on tv disinfecting their groceries on the porch before letting them in the house...not having Thanksgiving or Christmas.  I did lose a handful of friends.  A good friend died and they had no funeral...That was a pretty crappy 2 years.
Yes, Trump held many press conferences but remember he relied on information from the CDC, WHO, Fauci and Birx. They advised him on the "flattening the curve"  and when he began to question what was going on they shut him down and by that time those mentioned above had terrified the public into believing that we were all going to die if we didn't flatten the curve, etc., etc.  You know the rest.

Trump ultimately left the shutdowns up to the individual states. Perhaps one of the wisest directives he gave.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2022, 05:06:50 pm »
I don't really blame Trump for the initial lockdowns.  No president could have resisted the CDC and MSM at that point. They would have led every program with "Trump killed another X-thousand people today...."  I said this in an article I wrote for American Thinker at the time.  It is amazing how well this article has stood the test of time, even if I say so myself.

https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2020/04/covid19_the_security_implications.html

Online roamer_1

« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2022, 05:07:58 pm »
States have their own health departments.  It’s they that have the responsibility and obligation to assess their own citizens public health risks. 

Ours is a federal government system, not one of a national government that states must answer to.

Except in the case of a State of Emergency, which we've been under for YEARS.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2022, 05:27:04 pm »
Note that he says he contacted the governors and organized the lockdown.

Organized or mandated?? Big difference.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online DB

« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2022, 05:28:44 pm »
Organized or mandated?? Big difference.

It opened the door. That's the big difference.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2022, 05:42:12 pm »
It opened the door. That's the big difference.

Again, Trump ultimately left it up to the States to shutdown which was the correct thing to do. Yes he called the governors through conference calls and discussed the shutdown; it was still the governors' choice.  TX and FL I believe were the last states to shutdown and the first to open back up.  I know DeSantis took a lot of criticism for opening back up, and did it in phases but rather quickly.

Trump did not issue a mandate.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2022, 05:49:51 pm »
I don't really blame Trump for the initial lockdowns.  No president could have resisted the CDC and MSM at that point. They would have led every program with "Trump killed another X-thousand people today...."  I said this in an article I wrote for American Thinker at the time.  It is amazing how well this article has stood the test of time, even if I say so myself.

https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2020/04/covid19_the_security_implications.html

888high58888

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2022, 05:52:11 pm »
Well that didn't take long for such a warm welcome back!   :bighug:

My computer crashed...am not going to converse per my cellphone...
Fingers too stumpy!

Lucky for you...lucky for a half-dozen other posers around here.

Finally...lucky for me!

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2022, 05:52:20 pm »

You were right then and are still right today @massadvj
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DB

« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2022, 05:54:43 pm »
A good executive asks questions that require answers before taking action.

What are the goals? What is the cost of trying to meet these goals. Does one size fit all? How do we know we met the goals? How do we make course corrections based on what we learn along the way?

The first required assumption is that virtually everyone is going to get it - sooner or later. That you can't hide from it indefinitely. Based on that, the sooner healthy people get it and get immunity to it the better. They are no longer vectors for transmission and the sooner normalcy can return.

Regarding higher risk people, you do try to slow things down voluntarily in that group, enough that hospitals/health providers are not completely overrun. That way everyone gets treated as well as we know how to. That should have been a local decision based on local conditions and not one size fits all.

The federal government's mission should have been to facilitate resources directed where needed.

Trump did facilitate resources which was good, but not much else.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2022, 06:04:45 pm »
A good executive asks questions that require answers before taking action.

What are the goals? What is the cost of trying to meet these goals. Does one size fit all? How do we know we met the goals? How do we make course corrections based on what we learn along the way?

The first required assumption is that virtually everyone is going to get it - sooner or later. That you can't hide from it indefinitely. Based on that, the sooner healthy people get it and get immunity to it the better. They are no longer vectors for transmission and the sooner normalcy can return.

Regarding higher risk people, you do try to slow things down voluntarily in that group, enough that hospitals/health providers are not completely overrun. That way everyone gets treated as well as we know how to. That should have been a local decision based on local conditions and not one size fits all.

The federal government's mission should have been to facilitate resources directed where needed.

Trump did facilitate resources which was good, but not much else.

No president in the history of our country has had to deal with a pandemic.  I applaud Trump for his actions and efforts and he saved lives.  Yes, the pandemic cost money and tanked the economy; that was the plan of Biden, China, Fauci, DEMS, the WHO, and the CDC to take Trump down and steal an election. You can rant and rave and try to blame Trump, but I will never place blame for the way he handled the pandemic at his feet. Never.  Trump did well for this country.

Online DB

« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2022, 06:40:59 pm »
So the argument is, no one in government is accountable.

The executive isn't responsible for the executive branch of government. They are just a figurehead. And if that's the case, why bother to fight for one.

Trump was going to get blamed for all the deaths one way or another - and did. My beef is he didn't lead, he followed. What's the point of an executive if they won't lead like one. Extraordinary times need extraordinary leaders. Some rise to the need, others don't.

Online DB

« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2022, 06:45:48 pm »

Well the fact of the matter is he got blamed for the deaths anyway. He didn't escape blame by following the bureaucrats taking the safe route.

The bottom line of this argument is no one in government is accountable. That the executive doesn't lead the executive branch. That these executive agencies have no superiors.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2022, 06:56:26 pm »
Well the fact of the matter is he got blamed for the deaths anyway. He didn't escape blame by following the bureaucrats taking the safe route.

The bottom line of this argument is no one in government is accountable. That the executive doesn't lead the executive branch. That these executive agencies have no superiors.

Trump exuded extreme leadership.  He did not dictate to the states. He held numerous press conferences to inform the public as to what was going on.  He is NOT responsible for the lies of Fauci and Biden.  We are a free people and have rights under the Constitution. We are supposed to hold our politicians accountable through free and fair elections.  Of course Trump got blamed but that changes nothing. 
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 06:57:44 pm by libertybele »

Online Hoodat

« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2022, 07:32:18 pm »
To: the Administrators of this forum

If you allow a complete piece of garbage troll like this "timber rattler" to post her/(maybe his)/(most likely 'it') neocon warmongering garbage here, then kindly delete my account.  Thanks for the opportunity to participate, but I can no longer be here in good conscience if a filthy piece of trash is given a forum for expression here.

@art.prout

Why not point out disagreement with what was said instead of going after the messenger?  This isn't the GroupthinkBriefingRoom.  If Groupthink is what you are looking for, you know where to find it.

Instead of launching personal attacks, why not instead engage in debate and critical thought.  If the poster really is 'garbage', then you should have no difficulty besting him.  The fact that you chose not to do so provides a hint that maybe his arguments are valid after all.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2022, 07:34:50 pm »
Wow....15 days that ended up being 2 years.  I remember staying at home for months...seeing people on tv disinfecting their groceries on the porch before letting them in the house...not having Thanksgiving or Christmas.

It was also two years of people being denied the right to treat Covid with long established and proven treatments.  The only thing our FDA/CDC/NIH Pfizer stock holders offered was to check yourself into a hospital and die.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2022, 07:46:56 pm »
The PRESIDENT has absolutely no control over ANY of those organizations!

BS.  The President is the Chief Executive Officer.  He can fire any unelected person he wants within the Executive Branch.  Sure, there may be a grievance or financial cost to it.  But he can definitely get rid of anyone.  (See:  Billy Dale - Clinton Travel Office)

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2022, 07:51:40 pm »
States have their own health departments.  It’s they that have the responsibility and obligation to assess their own citizens public health risks. 

Ours is a federal government system, not one of a national government that states must answer to.

The blocking of anti-parasitics as a treatment for Covid occurred at the Federal level, not the State level.  The refusal of hospitals to admit non-vaccinated patients also occurred at the Federal level.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2022, 07:54:09 pm »
No president in the history of our country has had to deal with a pandemic. 

Uh, that's not entirely accurate...

"Woodrow Wilson Got the Flu in a Pandemic During the World War I Peace Talks"

https://www.history.com/news/woodrow-wilson-1918-pandemic-world-war-i

Past Pandemics

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/basics/past-pandemics.html

The Worst Outbreaks in U.S. History

https://www.healthline.com/health/worst-disease-outbreaks-history

aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Online roamer_1

« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2022, 10:06:17 pm »
It was also two years of people being denied the right to treat Covid with long established and proven treatments.  The only thing our FDA/CDC/NIH Pfizer stock holders offered was to check yourself into a hospital and die.

THAT is the raw truth.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2022, 10:11:24 pm »
THAT is the raw truth.
Really?  In Texas I walked right into Tractor Supply and purchased Ivermectin.  My Dr. recommended it.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2022, 10:21:37 pm »
Really?  In Texas I walked right into Tractor Supply and purchased Ivermectin.  My Dr. recommended it.

Me too - less the doctor. Reduced to buying veterinary medicine (which was also shamed loudly) is not support of antivirals. That's called an end-run around the a**holes making it rare to find.

Because they outlawed it, which rubbed me wrong, and because I didn't listen, and because I found access, I don't know anyone who died from COVID. A flat none.

My liberal sister knows a dozen in her immediate circle, and dozens more beyond that.

ALL those people did not have to die. And everyone who made antivirals rare deserve everything the law can throw at em. Millions have died, and died horribly and alone, for no better reason than filthy lucre and political gain. Sonsabiches, every one. Including Tumpy. That cannot be forgiven or rewarded.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 10:23:04 pm by roamer_1 »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2022, 10:26:11 pm »
And that goes further after that... to the jab. My sister already knows three healthy people who died unexpectedly of heart trouble. Three friends who dropped dead.

I know none.

Them sonsabiches.