Author Topic: Poll: Ron DeSantis Up 18 Points over Donald Trump in Hypothetical GOP Primary  (Read 964 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) is marked 18 points up over former President Donald Trump in a hypothetical GOP primary, a Wednesday Economist/YouGov poll revealed.

When the poll asked conservative respondents, “If you had to choose, who would you rather see as the Republican nominee for President in 2024?” 51 percent chose DeSantis. Thirty-three percent selected Trump. Seventeen percent are unsure.

Among Americans, DeSantis leads Trump by seven points (46-39 percent). The governor also leads Trump among independents by 13 points (24-21 percent).

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2022/11/16/poll-ron-desantis-up-18-points-donald-trump-hypothetical-gop-primary/
The Republic is lost.

Online LMAO

From the article….

Among Americans, DeSantis leads Trump by seven points (46-39 percent). The governor also leads Trump among independents by 13 points (24-21 percent).

If this poll is representative of how most people feel, Trump 2024 may fizzle out
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online roamer_1

From the article….

If this poll is representative of how most people feel, Trump 2024 may fizzle out

Only applicable if DeSantis throws his hat in... I think it is more of an agreement around DeSantis than it is about Tumpy.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
And yet, I believe, didn't Trump surpass and even bigger deficit back in 2015 where he was like 1% or something?

Never underestimate the guy.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Given these numbers, if I was DeSantis I would just keep my powder dry, methodically prepare, and then enter at the last possible minute.  He has no incentive to throw his hat in the ring at this point. By the time Iowa comes around, people will be clamoring for RDS to jump in and "save the party."

Trump is a known entity. There is not much he can (or will) do to change the public's perception of him.  He is more liability than help to the GOP at this point, and everyone sees that except Trump himself.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 09:08:19 pm by massadvj »

Online LMAO

Given these numbers, if I was DeSantis I would just keep my powder dry, methodically prepare, and then enter at the last possible minute.  He has no incentive to throw his hay in the ring at this point. By the time Iowa comes around, people will be clamoring for RDS to jump in and "save the party."

Trump is a known entity. There is not much he can (or will) do to change the public's perception of him.  He is more liability than help to the GOP at this point, and everyone sees that except Trump himself.

If I recall, didn’t Clinton do something similar in 1992?
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline The_Reader_David

...except Trump himself, the denizens of TOS, not a few posters here, and maybe half of the columnists at The American Spectator.

The GOP need a single standard bearer to take him on (DeSantis being ideal), ideally along with refusing to take state money to run primaries if they are required to be open -- run caucuses in states that insist on open primaries -- otherwise the 'Rats will vote for Trump in our primaries because they rightly recognize him to be damage goods and would dearly love to run against him. 

I've always thought that the generally hated and well-known-to-be-corrupt Hillary Clinton was the only Democrat of national stature Trump could have beaten in 2016.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Kamaji

...except Trump himself, the denizens of TOS, not a few posters here, and maybe half of the columnists at The American Spectator.

The GOP need a single standard bearer to take him on (DeSantis being ideal), ideally along with refusing to take state money to run primaries if they are required to be open -- run caucuses in states that insist on open primaries -- otherwise the 'Rats will vote for Trump in our primaries because they rightly recognize him to be damage goods and would dearly love to run against him. 

I've always thought that the generally hated and well-known-to-be-corrupt Hillary Clinton was the only Democrat of national stature Trump could have beaten in 2016.

:thumbsup:

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
If I recall, didn’t Clinton do something similar in 1992?

Maybe so.  I am almost 70 now.  My memory fades. That might be a good thing because soon I will forget how great this country once was.  wink777

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
DeSantis isn't ready.

He just completed his first term as governor, and has been elected to his second.

If he's to run for the presidency in 2024, he will have to begin campaigning before that many months pass. And the more actively he campaigns (it will require A LOT to beat Mr. Trump), takes him away from the job he was just re-elected to do: govern Florida. That won't serve him well. Nor will it serve Florida well.

Mr. DeSantis would do better to remain as governor until his second term expires in 2026 (right?). During this time he can further move the state "to the red", and also begin the search for one or more candidates to replace him in the 2028 governor's election.

Leaving office triumphant in 2026, he can then begin an all-out campaign for the 2028 election...

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
The Dims and their RINO pals really are desperate to take Trump out,ain't they?

How ANYBODY can NOT see that as being proof that Trump scares the hell out of them is a mystery to me.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
DeSantis isn't ready.

He just completed his first term as governor, and has been elected to his second.

If he's to run for the presidency in 2024, he will have to begin campaigning before that many months pass. And the more actively he campaigns (it will require A LOT to beat Mr. Trump), takes him away from the job he was just re-elected to do: govern Florida. That won't serve him well. Nor will it serve Florida well.

Mr. DeSantis would do better to remain as governor until his second term expires in 2026 (right?). During this time he can further move the state "to the red", and also begin the search for one or more candidates to replace him in the 2028 governor's election.

Leaving office triumphant in 2026, he can then begin an all-out campaign for the 2028 election...

@Fishrrman

Seems like such a simple concept that even the idiot "anybody but rude orange man" posters here could understand it,doesn't it?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Just let Maricopa County count the ballots and the Democrat will win.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
The Dims and their RINO pals really are desperate to take Trump out,ain't they?

How ANYBODY can NOT see that as being proof that Trump scares the hell out of them is a mystery to me.

That's just foolish.

We'd prefer to avoid another ass-kicking in 2024. 

As long and DJT is running off at his big mouth, we are going to get one.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
That's just foolish.

We'd prefer to avoid another ass-kicking in 2024. 

As long and DJT is running off at his big mouth, we are going to get one.

@HikerGuy83

You obviously prefer asskissing RINO's,like Pence.

Offline cato potatoe

DeSantis isn't ready.

Is this going to be the line of argument?  It is common for a politician to run for higher office while serving.  They frequently are in a stronger position.  He would likely wait until the legislature is recessed. 

Never forget we are in this position because Trump was fired by the voters for incompetence.  He has done nothing to convince the same voters to change their minds.  January 6th drove even more people away.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Never forget we are in this position because Trump was fired by the voters for incompetence.  He has done nothing to convince the same voters to change their minds.  January 6th drove even more people away.

Climb out of the barcalounger, turn off CNN and take a walk @cato potatoe    -----  you need a break.  :laugh:

Offline goatprairie

Everybody get on The DeSantis Train :eleph: .........or elephant.