Author Topic: These 12 Republicans Just Voted for Radical ‘Respect for Marriage Act’  (Read 539 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

The United States Senate voted Wednesday to advance the so-called Respect for Marriage Act.

The motion received 62 “aye” votes and 37 “no” votes.

Twelve Republicans voted for advancing the radical legislation: Sens. Roy Blunt of Missouri, Richard Burr of North Carolina, Shelley Capito of West Virginia, Susan Collins of Maine, Cynthia Lummis of Wyoming, Rob Portman of Ohio, Mitt Romney of Utah, Dan Sullivan of Alaska, Thom Tillis of North Carolina, Joni Ernst of Iowa, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, and Todd Young of Indiana.

H.R. 8404 “provides statutory authority for same-sex and interracial marriages,” repealing provisions that define marriage as between a man and a woman.

The legislation, which was passed by the House in July, also “repeals and replaces provisions that do not require states to recognize same-sex marriages from other states with provisions that prohibit the denial of full faith and credit or any right or claim relating to out-of-state marriages on the basis of sex, race, ethnicity, or national origin,” allows “the Department of Justice to bring a civil action,” and “establishes a private right of action for violations.”

https://www.dailysignal.com/2022/11/16/senate-votes-on-radical-lgbtq-legislation-respect-for-marriage-act/

---------

And there kids is your primary list.

This is the latest in a series of wrong votes from my own Senator, Joni Ernst. My guess is she has been compromised and blackmailed.
The Republic is lost.

Offline andy58-in-nh

Re: These 12 Republicans Just Voted for Radical ‘Respect for Marriage Act’
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2022, 10:09:38 pm »
Please tell me how and why the Federal government should EVER have ANY say in who should get married to who.

Personal decisions are just that. Leave it to the states, insofar as a legal commitment to another person ought to be honored and enforced as a matter of common law in the courts.

Just get the hell out of our lives, okay? I don't understand gay "marriage" and I never will. But leaving us all alone to live our lives freely without any special rights or favors would be a great development.   
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2022, 10:15:10 pm »

The United States Senate voted Wednesday to advance the so-called Respect for Marriage Act.

The motion received 62 “aye” votes and 37 “no” votes.

Twelve Republicans voted for advancing the radical legislation: Sens. Roy Blunt of Missouri, Richard Burr of North Carolina, Shelley Capito of West Virginia, Susan Collins of Maine, Cynthia Lummis of Wyoming, Rob Portman of Ohio, Mitt Romney of Utah, Dan Sullivan of Alaska, Thom Tillis of North Carolina, Joni Ernst of Iowa, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, and Todd Young of Indiana.

H.R. 8404 “provides statutory authority for same-sex and interracial marriages,” repealing provisions that define marriage as between a man and a woman.

The legislation, which was passed by the House in July, also “repeals and replaces provisions that do not require states to recognize same-sex marriages from other states with provisions that prohibit the denial of full faith and credit or any right or claim relating to out-of-state marriages on the basis of sex, race, ethnicity, or national origin,” allows “the Department of Justice to bring a civil action,” and “establishes a private right of action for violations.”

https://www.dailysignal.com/2022/11/16/senate-votes-on-radical-lgbtq-legislation-respect-for-marriage-act/

---------

And there kids is your primary list.

This is the latest in a series of wrong votes from my own Senator, Joni Ernst. My guess is she has been compromised and blackmailed.

I was surprised to see her on the list.  Disappointing.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2022, 10:18:50 pm »
Please tell me how and why the Federal government should EVER have ANY say in who should get married to who.

Personal decisions are just that. Leave it to the states, insofar as a legal commitment to another person ought to be honored and enforced as a matter of common law in the courts.

Just get the hell out of our lives, okay? I don't understand gay "marriage" and I never will. But leaving us all alone to live our lives freely without any special rights or favors would be a great development.   

Best I recall, the tax, inheritance, privacy (primarily medical) and survivor ship laws kicked this debate into high gear...
I guess it is better for the politicians to include a victimized group rather than undo the stupid laws to begin with..

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2022, 11:14:45 pm »
Shelley Moore Capito is little better than Joe Manchin, most of the time.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Hoodat

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2022, 01:11:01 am »
Twelve Republicans voting to deny the citizens of Georgia the right under the Tenth Amendment to formulate our own marriage laws.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2022, 01:39:49 am »
Twelve Republicans voting to deny the citizens of Georgia the right under the Tenth Amendment to formulate our own marriage laws.

That's the thing - The feds have no business in marriage whatsoever.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2022, 01:43:12 am »
That's the thing - The feds have no business in marriage whatsoever.

Which makes me wonder what SCOTUS will do if this law is challenged.

The Republic is lost.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2022, 01:45:04 am »
Which makes me wonder what SCOTUS will do if this law is challenged.

Hopefully the right thing. The stickler is reciprocity...

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2022, 02:02:07 am »
Hell's bells, I was surprised to find out that Connecticut, Delaware, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota (since 1977), New Hampshire, and Alabama have laws against interracial marriage. It isn't just a Southern thing, either.  :shrug:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2022, 02:07:16 am »
Hell's bells, I was surprised to find out that Connecticut, Delaware, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota (since 1977), New Hampshire, and Alabama have laws against interracial marriage. It isn't just a Southern thing, either.  :shrug:

I bet those laws have not been applied in a very long time.