Author Topic: Africa: The Place where Claims Renewables are Cheaper Go to Die  (Read 137 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Africa: The Place where Claims Renewables are Cheaper Go to Die
« on: November 16, 2022, 03:49:55 pm »
Africa: The Place where Claims Renewables are Cheaper Go to Die
5 hours ago Eric Worrall 16 Comments
Essay by Eric Worrall

If renewables are the cheapest form of energy, why is Africa making a dash for gas, with greens in developed nations scrambling to organise climate finance to persuade Africans to build renewables instead?

Africa has vast gas reserves – here’s how to stop them adding to climate change

Published: November 16, 2022 4.18am AEDT

Chukwumerije OkerekeProfessor of Environment and Development, University of Reading
Youba SokonaVice-président du GIEC et professeur honoraire, UCL

The question of whether Africa should be allowed to exploit its gas reserves, estimated at more than 17.56 trillion cubic meters (620 trillion cubic feet) in 2021, has been much discussed at the latest UN climate change summit, COP27, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt.

Former US vice president Al Gore used his speech at the opening session to urge an end to all fossil fuel investment globally, including in Africa. But Macky Sall, the president of Senegal and chairperson of the African Union, argued at the same event that Africa needs space in Earth’s dwindling carbon budget to use its resources for development.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2022/11/16/africa-the-place-where-claims-renewables-are-cheaper-go-to-die/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson