Author Topic: Liftoff! NASA’s Artemis I Mega Rocket Launches Orion to Moon  (Read 438 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Liftoff! NASA’s Artemis I Mega Rocket Launches Orion to Moon
« on: November 16, 2022, 12:13:00 pm »
NASA Nov 16, 2022 RELEASE 22-117

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/liftoff-nasa-s-artemis-i-mega-rocket-launches-orion-to-moon

NASA’s Space Launch System rocket carrying the Orion spacecraft launches on the Artemis I flight test, Wednesday, Nov. 16, 2022, from
Launch Complex 39B at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida. NASA’s Artemis I mission is the first integrated flight test of the agency’s
deep space exploration systems: the Orion spacecraft, Space Launch System (SLS) rocket, and ground systems. SLS and Orion launched
at 1:47am ET from Launch Pad 39B at the Kennedy Space Center.

Following a successful launch of NASA’s Space Launch System (SLS), the most powerful rocket in the world, the agency’s Orion spacecraft is on its way to the Moon as part of the Artemis program. Carrying an uncrewed Orion, SLS lifted off for its flight test debut at 1:47 a.m. EST Wednesday from Launch Pad 39B at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida. 

The launch is the first leg of a mission in which Orion is planned to travel approximately 40,000 miles beyond the Moon and return to Earth over the course of 25.5 days. Known as Artemis I, the mission is a critical part of NASA’s Moon to Mars exploration approach, in which the agency explores for the benefit of humanity. It’s an important test for the agency before flying astronauts on the Artemis II mission.

“What an incredible sight to see NASA’s Space Launch System rocket and Orion spacecraft launch together for the first time. This uncrewed flight test will push Orion to the limits in the rigors of deep space, helping us prepare for human exploration on the Moon and, ultimately, Mars,” said NASA Administrator Bill Nelson. 

After reaching its initial orbit, Orion deployed its solar arrays and engineers began performing checkouts of the spacecraft’s systems. About 1.5 hours into flight, the rocket’s upper stage engine successfully fired for approximately 18 minutes to give Orion the big push needed to send it out of Earth orbit and toward the Moon. 

Orion has separated from its upper stage and is on its outbound coast to the Moon powered by its service module, which is the propulsive powerhouse provided by ESA (European Space Agency) through an international collaboration.

“It’s taken a lot to get here, but Orion is now on its way to the Moon,” said Jim Free, NASA deputy associate administrator for the Exploration Systems Development Mission Directorate. “This successful launch means NASA and our partners are on a path to explore farther in space than ever before for the benefit of humanity.”

Over the next several hours, a series of 10 small science investigations and technology demonstrations, called CubeSats, will deploy from a ring that connected the upper stage to the spacecraft. Each CubeSat has its own mission that has the potential to fill gaps in our knowledge of the solar system or demonstrate technologies that may benefit the design of future missions to explore the Moon and beyond.

Orion’s service module will also perform the first of a series of burns to keep Orion on course toward the Moon approximately eight hours after launch. In the coming days, mission controllers at NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston will conduct additional checkouts and course corrections as needed. Orion is expected to fly by the Moon on Nov. 21, performing a close approach of the lunar surface on its way to a distant retrograde orbit, a highly stable orbit thousands of miles beyond the Moon. 

“The Space Launch System rocket delivered the power and performance to send Orion on its way to the Moon,” said Mike Sarafin, Artemis I mission manager. “With the accomplishment of the first major milestone of the mission, Orion will now embark on the next phase to test its systems and prepare for future missions with astronauts.” 

The SLS rocket and Orion spacecraft arrived at Kennedy’s Launch Pad 39B on Nov. 4 where they rode out Hurricane Nicole. Following the storm, teams conducted thorough assessments of the rocket, spacecraft, and associated ground systems and confirmed there were no significant impacts from the severe weather.

Engineers previously rolled the rocket back to the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB) Sept. 26 ahead of Hurricane Ian and after waving off two previous launch attempts Aug. 29 due to a faulty temperature sensor, and Sept. 4 due to a liquid hydrogen leak at an interface between the rocket and mobile launcher. Prior to rolling back to the VAB, teams successfully repaired the leak and demonstrated updated tanking procedures. While in the VAB, teams performed standard maintenance to repair minor damage to the foam and cork on the thermal protection system and recharge or replace batteries throughout the system.

Artemis I is supported by thousands of people around the world, from contractors who built Orion and SLS, and the ground infrastructure needed to launch them, to international and university partners, to small businesses supplying subsystems and components. 

Through Artemis missions, NASA will land the first woman and the first person of color on the surface of the Moon, paving the way for a long-term lunar presence and serving as a steppingstone for astronauts on the way to Mars.

View more photos of Artemis I at:

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjzG1pG
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 12:14:00 pm by Elderberry »

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Liftoff! NASA’s Artemis I Mega Rocket Launches Orion to Moon
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2022, 12:24:19 pm »
NASA's Artemis 1 moon mission heads for lunar orbit after crucial engine burn

Space.com By Mike Wall 11/16/2022

Artemis 1's Space Launch System rocket has sent the Orion capsule out of Earth orbit.

NASA's Artemis 1 mission is officially on its way to the moon.

Artemis 1 launched early Wednesday morning (Nov. 16), sending an uncrewed Orion capsule aloft atop the agency's huge Space Launch System (SLS) rocket.

The SLS' core stage and twin solid rocket boosters got the Orion spacecraft to Earth orbit, but the capsule needed another push to break free of our planet's gravity and head for the moon. And it got that push, thanks to a long engine burn from the SLS upper stage, called the Interim Cryogenic Propulsion Stage (ICPS).

The ICPS' single engine kicked on about 87 minutes after the Artemis 1 mission liftoff and burned for 18 minutes, boosting Orion's speed from 17,500 mph (28,160 kph) to 22,500 mph (36,210 kph) as planned and setting the capsule on course for the moon.

"Trans-lunar injection burn complete! @NASA_Orion is on its way to the moon! Thanks to ICPS, @NASA_SLS's upper stage, for the push to get us on our way," Jim Free, associate administrator of the Exploration Systems Development Mission Directorate at NASA headquarters in Washington, said via Twitter (opens in new tab) just after the burn ended.

More: https://www.space.com/artemis-1-orion-spacecraft-headed-for-moon

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2022, 12:24:21 pm »
WOW!  I didn't know that this launch was even scheduled!  NASA has been working on this rocket ever since GWB announced that we were going back to the moon in 2004.

Here's video of the launch...it looks and sounds just as powerful as Saturn V, if not more so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdTnwmLMaDY

Flashback:

Bush unveils vision for moon and beyond
President seeks $1 billion more in NASA funding

https://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/01/14/bush.space/

aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2022, 01:48:59 pm »
What a shot from NASA's engine camera of the Artemis I launch!

Michael Baylor
@nextspaceflight

https://twitter.com/i/status/1592782395920744448

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2022, 07:00:33 pm »
A big bang indeed but was it a 50 billion dollar(some say 93 billion to date) bang? Now that the SLS is finally off the ground and NASA was able to grab the worlds most powerful rocket record, albeit for a very short time, will the NASA and the feds finally take the brakes off SpaceX?

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2022, 12:01:46 am »
The conspiracy nuts claiming it's all fake,, dominating every FB story on the launch or any space related story is just not funny anymore. You could strap their asses into a rocket, send them into Orbit, have them do reentry and then make them clean the vomit on the inside of their helmet and they will still claim it was fake.  The mental psychosis of conspiracy obsession is not reversible that we know of.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn