Author Topic: KC-46 tanker’s boom issue will prevent A-10 refueling for years  (Read 149 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
KC-46 tanker’s boom issue will prevent A-10 refueling for years
By Rachel S. Cohen
 Nov 14, 03:57 PM

Supply chain problems have delayed an effort to redesign the KC-46 tanker’s refueling boom, keeping the plane years away from being able to gas up the entire Air Force inventory.

Engineers are redesigning the fuel pipe to be more flexible so it can properly connect to the A-10C Thunderbolt II attack plane, the last military aircraft that remains off-limits to the Pegasus. The Air Force discovered the issue over four years ago.

“Pilots of receiver aircraft reported that the boom is too stiff during the part of the process when the receiver plane moves forward into the fuel transfer zone,” Defense News reported in 2018.

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2022/11/14/kc-46-tankers-boom-issue-will-prevent-a-10-refueling-for-years/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: KC-46 tanker’s boom issue will prevent A-10 refueling for years
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2022, 12:42:54 pm »
The AF has found a really creative way to get rid of the A-10!  They've been trying for years with no success.  I'm sure no one saw the boom problem would so negatively affect the A-10. 8bs8
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson