Author Topic: U.S. scrambles to reassure Ukraine after Milley comments on negotiations  (Read 163 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
U.S. scrambles to reassure Ukraine after Milley comments on negotiations

The top general's remarks about a “window” for talks angered Ukrainian officials, people familiar with the matter said.

Gen. Mark Milley said that a victory by Ukraine may not be achieved militarily, and that winter may provide an opportunity to begin negotiations with Russia. | Olivier Matthys/AP Photo

By ALEXANDER WARD, LARA SELIGMAN and ERIN BANCO

11/14/2022 03:37 PM EST

The Biden administration is in damage control mode after a top U.S. general said a window for peace talks between Kyiv and Moscow could open this winter, with senior officials scrambling to assure Ukraine it wasn’t undercutting its goal of expelling the Russians.

Specifically, senior U.S. officials are telling their counterparts in Ukraine that the expected winter fighting pause doesn’t mean talks should happen imminently. Instead, they’re relaying that Washington will continue to support Kyiv’s militarily as it launches the next phase of advances on the battlefield, according to Ukrainian and U.S. officials familiar with the outreach.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/11/14/u-s-ukraine-milley-negotiations-00066777
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: U.S. scrambles to reassure Ukraine after Milley comments on negotiations
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2022, 12:12:28 pm »
Milley is playing politician behind the backs of leaders just like he did with Trump. :nono:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson