Author Topic: US Homeland Security Secretary Asks Customs & Border Patrol Commissioner to Resign  (Read 160 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
US Homeland Security Secretary Asks Customs & Border Patrol Commissioner to Resign
By Socalj 11/11/2022 10:54:00 AM  No comments
"Socalj" for Borderland Beat

Chris Magnus has been criticized internally for being out of touch with the agency and publicly for the handling of the US-Mexico border.

Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas asked US Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Chris Magnus to resign this week, according to a source familiar with the discussions. In a statement to the Los Angeles Times, Magnus said he planned to stay in the agency. “I am excited about the progress I made and look forward to continuing that work,” he said.

On Wednesday, Mayorkas told Magnus he had lost confidence in Magnus in a conversation between the two. The meeting came after the commissioner had decided to not continue a “retention” bonus for the head of Border Patrol, Raul Ortiz. Magnus had told Mayorkas previously that Ortiz did not share his philosophy and approach to reforms.

On Tuesday, Magnus had also gone to a meeting of border patrol chiefs in El Paso after Mayorkas had ordered him not to, Magnus said. “After me making extensive attempts to reach [Mayorkas] and discuss the matter, I went to the meeting so I could engage with the chiefs on various issues and concerns. I also met with Chief Ortiz to see how we might best work together moving forward,” he said.

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2022/11/us-homeland-security-secretary-asks.html
« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 06:16:24 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson