Author Topic: Exclusive: Inside the ongoing ‘evolution’ of Army special operations  (Read 175 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Exclusive: Inside the ongoing ‘evolution’ of Army special operations
By Davis Winkie
 Nov 9, 03:03 PM

WASHINGTON — The distinctive patch of the Army’s Special Forces units dates back to 1955, when Capt. John W. Fry of the 77th Special Forces Group reportedly submitted a design he felt reflected the new units’ all-domain mission.

According to Army heraldry officials, the three lightning flashes represent the elite troops’ ability to “strike rapidly by air, water or land.”

Nearly 70 years later, the service’s top special operations leader sees a resonance between that original all-domain concept and the “modern day” deterrence triad of space, cyber and special operations that senior leaders unveiled in recent months. The military’s top space official, Gen. James Dickinson, dubbed it the “influence triad” when he unveiled the concept in August.

The influence triad is intended to complement the nuclear triad. Where the nuclear triad deters a foe’s strategic forces, like inter-continental ballistic missiles, the influence triad is intended to deter and help respond to irregular activity that stops short of armed conflict, and then dominate foes in those domains when a war begins.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2022/11/09/exclusive-inside-the-ongoing-evolution-of-army-special-operations/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Exclusive: Inside the ongoing ‘evolution’ of Army special operations
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2022, 11:51:15 am »
Are they making a manual on how to be woke when confronted by overwhelming force and are about to die? :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson