Author Topic: Divers find Challenger space shuttle wreckage off Florida coast  (Read 521 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Divers find Challenger space shuttle wreckage off Florida coast
« on: November 11, 2022, 02:34:45 am »
Reuters by  Dan Whitcomb 11/10/2022

Divers from a documentary crew looking for the wreckage of a World War Two aircraft off the coast of Florida found a 20-foot section of the space shuttle Challenger, which exploded and broke apart shortly after its launch in 1986, NASA said on Thursday.

The divers contacted NASA after spotting a large, clearly modern object mostly covered in sand at the bottom of the ocean and bearing the shuttle's distinctive tiles, the space agency said in a written statement.

"This discovery gives us an opportunity to pause once again, to uplift the legacies of the seven pioneers we lost, and to reflect on how this tragedy changed us," NASA administrator Bill Nelson said in the statement.

More: https://www.reuters.com/world/us/divers-find-challenger-space-shuttle-wreckage-off-florida-coast-2022-11-10/?rpc=401&

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Divers find Challenger space shuttle wreckage off Florida coast
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2022, 02:42:50 am »
OH MY.   This is something big.  Lots of unanswered questions on the crews remains.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2022, 02:50:46 am »
Word on the street says they were alive and rode it all the way to the ground. That day is burned into the minds of my generation like Kennedy shot was the previous, 9/11 the Millennials, and Pearl Harbor for the Greatest Generation.
The Republic is lost.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2022, 02:54:34 am »
Word on the street says they were alive and rode it all the way to the ground. That day is burned into the minds of my generation like Kennedy shot was the previous, 9/11 the Millennials, and Pearl Harbor for the Greatest Generation.

Amen.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2022, 03:14:57 am »
I wheeled a grocery cart of secret recon tapes into JSC Mission Control to build the TPC system for an upcoming Red flight. When I wheeled by the NIP Control Console, it was deathly quiet. I had to walk around them to see what was on their monitors. That I will never forget.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2022, 04:00:39 am »
In the grand scheme of things, sitting on top of explosives and riding into space has definite risks. I remember when the very early rockets did not get far off the pad (before the Mercury series). Yes, I remember the Baikonnur explosion (slow coming out, but in 1960), Kennedy being shot (both of them, Jack and Bobby), Soyuz 1, Apollo 1 (fire on the pad), Soyuz 11, Challenger, 9/11, Columbia, and COVID/2020, all disasters in their own way.

That we (or any country) would lose astronauts on the pad, on the way up, or on the way down, is an almost predictable result of space exploration, the sort of thing spoken about in science fiction stories as past history in a fictional context. That doesn't make any of these events less of a tragedy, a learning opportunity, or mean that they may have not been preventable. Sadly, it seems we need to be reminded of our frailties (and our Hubris) from time to time, just to get our priorities straight.

Those who launch today still take risks, and it will ever be so.

A list of Space related accidents can be found at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_spaceflight-related_accidents_and_incidents
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2022, 04:12:59 am »
I still get nightmares about the Challenger, and Gus Grissom
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2022, 04:18:16 am »
May your dreams be blessed with peace.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2022, 05:21:33 pm »
My wife found out recently that she was related, albeit distantly to Gus through her branch of the Grissom's. A truly horrible tragedy, but as long as man pushes the envelope there will always be more. Submariners, pilots, astronauts are some of the most daring, but we have thousands even millions of everyday heroes and this is a day we set aside for those in our military.

@Elderberry