Author Topic: More Than 100 C-130s Are Down, Likely Because Mechanics Scratched Their Propellers, Air Force Says  (Read 126 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
More Than 100 C-130s Are Down, Likely Because Mechanics Scratched Their Propellers, Air Force Says
The standard practice of inscribing serial numbers during inspections turns out to be counterproductive.
MARCUS WEISGERBER | NOVEMBER 8, 2022
AIR FORCE

A maintenance procedure used by Air Force mechanics to document inspections likely damaged hundreds of C-130 propeller blades over a decade, according to service officials.

Maintenance technicians examining the propeller blades for cracks or other damage scratched permanent marks on each blade to document the inspection had taken place.

“The process used to engrave serial numbers on the propellers likely contributed to cracks that are being found on the C-130Hs,” Maj. Beau Downey, an Air Force spokesperson, said in an email. “That process, which involved an electric arc pen to incise digits into the surface of the metal, was stopped about six months ago and will not be used going forward. Further analysis will be needed for a full understanding of the root cause of the cracks. Right now our focus is on safely and quickly returning these aircraft to supporting the mission.”

https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2022/11/more-100-c-130s-are-down-likely-because-mechanics-scratched-their-propellers-air-force-says/379477/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson