Author Topic: Maybe America Hasn’t Suffered Enough by Scott McKay  (Read 672 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Maybe America Hasn’t Suffered Enough by Scott McKay
« on: November 09, 2022, 03:36:35 pm »
 Maybe America Hasn’t Suffered Enough
The red wave washed ashore as a ripple, though Republicans did make progress.
by Scott McKay
November 9, 2022, 2:16 AM

It’s late as I write this, though not late enough to know how things will turn out. But there are things we can safely say just after midnight Eastern time on Tuesday as the vote counts roll in and the races get called.

One of them is that for all the anger we’ve seen evidence of from Republican and independent voters, it seems pretty clear that channeling it into positive action is something beyond the reach of the GOP’s leadership and political class.

Is that a failure of that leadership? Well, yes. It is. And we’ll spend weeks and months analyzing the fact that what was supposed to be a red wave election was more like a sea spray that might be just enough to take majorities in the House and Senate by the tiniest margins … or perhaps not even that. And we’ll be analyzing it within the context of the opportunity the GOP had in 2022 — and the party simply blew it.

This should have been a massive wave election. Given the low job approval ratings of the sitting president in his first midterm election, and given the favorable generic congressional ballot numbers, this should have been a plus-five wave in the Senate and a plus-30 wave, or bigger, in the House. It also should have resounded down to statehouses, and yet the GOP turns out, apparently, not to have been able to beat abysmal Democrat gubernatorial candidates like Katie Hobbs, Kathy Hochul, and Gretchen Whitmer.

There are so many utterly horrid Democrats who will remain in office after this election that it should be offensive to average Americans. It’s tempting to fall into the trap of believing there must be wholesale corruption in American elections, but the problem with going there is that there must be proof before it’s actionable.

Until some is presented, we’ll have to deal with something very unpleasant. Namely, here’s the truth that we on the Right are going to have to accept: the American electorate in 2022 is awful.

And the axiom about the cycle that involves weak men and tough times is a real thing, and we are in the worst quadrant of that cycle.

more
https://spectator.org/maybe-america-hasnt-suffered-enough/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Maybe America Hasn’t Suffered Enough by Scott McKay
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2022, 03:44:38 pm »
I guess they haven't...wait until they all start getting their winter electric bills....gas prices go higher...groceries disappear off shelves...etc....I hope they learn the hard way then...because I have no sympathy for them.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2022, 04:08:06 pm »
This is always a possibility.  Look at the 1970s.  Even by 1976, things weren't bad enough, and we had to get to 1980 before we got Reagan.

And of course, we also need a new Reagan.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2022, 04:12:27 pm »
The GOP has their problems *cough* Traitor Mitch *cough*, but even if those are fixed I've come to the conclusion that either:

1) The Rats are cheating in ways we can't detect

or

2) Half of America has some serious battered wife syndrome.
The Republic is lost.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2022, 05:14:30 pm »
The GOP has their problems *cough* Traitor Mitch *cough*, but even if those are fixed I've come to the conclusion that either:

1) The Rats are cheating in ways we can't detect

or

2) Half of America has some serious battered wife syndrome.

Personally I think it a lack of message and vision = Conservative principles are the stuff of the Republican base. How much of that was defended with one voice? How much of that was lifted up as a clarion call?

Or was it all about pointing at Eeeevil Democrats without any real solutions or differential in approach?

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2022, 05:16:17 pm »
Personally I think it a lack of message and vision = Conservative principles are the stuff of the Republican base. How much of that was defended with one voice? How much of that was lifted up as a clarion call?

Or was it all about pointing at Eeeevil Democrats without any real solutions or differential in approach?

What?  You mean actually go out and do work to win people's votes?  That's crazy talk.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2022, 05:20:53 pm »
What?  You mean actually go out and do work to win people's votes?  That's crazy talk.

:laugh:

Offline LMAO

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2022, 05:33:49 pm »
This is always a possibility.  Look at the 1970s.  Even by 1976, things weren't bad enough, and we had to get to 1980 before we got Reagan.

And of course, we also need a new Reagan.

@Kamaji

Well look at the 1976 midterms. Despite the energy crisis and inflation, Republicans did make some gains but Democrats remain firmly in control of both the House and Senate that year
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2022, 06:05:54 pm »
I think that's painfully obvious.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2022, 06:07:02 pm »

I mean here we are sending bazillions to Ukraine, and Rick Scott wants to talk about cutting Social Security.   Oh yeah, that's really smart. 

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2022, 07:00:18 pm »
The outlook was brilliant for the Midterms yesterday;
And then when Oz died at first, and Bolduc, did the same,
A sickly silence fell upon the patrons of the game.
There is no Joy in Mudville.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2022, 07:03:11 pm »
The outlook was brilliant for the Midterms yesterday;
And then when Oz died at first, and Bolduc, did the same,
A sickly silence fell upon the patrons of the game.
There is no Joy in Mudville.

Mighty Donald has struck out?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2022, 07:17:52 pm »
@Kamaji

Well look at the 1976 midterms. Despite the energy crisis and inflation, Republicans did make some gains but Democrats remain firmly in control of both the House and Senate that year

Exactly.  Things had to get even worse so that, by the late 1970s, and with the Iranian hostage situation, enough Americans had gotten enough of the stupidity of liberals to vote for Reagan.

We have to go through all of that all over again.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2022, 08:11:35 pm »
Exactly.  Things had to get even worse so that, by the late 1970s, and with the Iranian hostage situation, enough Americans had gotten enough of the stupidity of liberals to vote for Reagan.

We have to go through all of that all over again.

Yeah, and those of us who remember that voted to avoid it. Unfortunately, there is a significant number of voters who have no clue what they have voted for because either they don't remember, or have been distracted by other issues.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2022, 08:27:54 pm »
Mighty Donald has struck out?

Yep, And we need to send him to the minors or cut him.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2022, 08:32:07 pm »
Yeah, and those of us who remember that voted to avoid it. Unfortunately, there is a significant number of voters who have no clue what they have voted for because either they don't remember, or have been distracted by other issues.

That's the problem.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2022, 08:51:42 pm »
I mean here we are sending bazillions to Ukraine, and Rick Scott wants to talk about cutting Social Security.   Oh yeah, that's really smart.

With republicans in winnable races complaining bitterly about their underfunded campaigns compared to their democrat opponents, I can’t help wondering whether some of those bazillions to Ukraine—which was controlled by the administration—was, with Zelensky’s agreement for getting the cash, redirected to democrat candidates in vulnerable races.  Hmmm.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2022, 09:30:38 pm »
Pardon my sense of despair, but let's face it. I'm in the demographic most directly hurt by this. The single, thirtysomething male desperate to marry and have children. Judging by last night's exit polls, I will never be able to have children of my own because those who control the wombs will ensure their children end up in government schools and indoctrinated into the next generation of leftists. That is, if they even have children at all. They are going to bring demographic destiny on their own, and import the next generation of anchor babies to ensure it.

There is no amount of suffering that is going to fix this as long as lefty billionaires like Musk, Bezos and Zuckerberg (not to mention Chinese Communist-controlled TikTok) control the modes of communication in this country.

Throw on top of that, the incumbent protection program on steroids that was "pandemic measures" that were never constitutional in the first place, ensuring that those who deserved far worse than removal from office didn't even get that indignity.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2022, 09:33:38 pm »
With republicans in winnable races complaining bitterly about their underfunded campaigns compared to their democrat opponents, I can’t help wondering whether some of those bazillions to Ukraine—which was controlled by the administration—was, with Zelensky’s agreement for getting the cash, redirected to democrat candidates in vulnerable races.  Hmmm.

The Dems certainly had no lack of funding this election.  They had so much of a surplus of money that they spent tens of millions funding Trump candidates in the primaries.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2022, 09:40:48 pm »
The Dems certainly had no lack of funding this election.  They had so much of a surplus of money that they spent tens of millions funding Trump candidates in the primaries.

And don't forget MurderTurdle plying his trade...  *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2022, 09:47:21 pm »
And don't forget MurderTurdle plying his trade...  *****rollingeyes*****

:yowsa: Never!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien