Author Topic: Republicans should have won the Senate easily, but they nominated really bad candidates  (Read 255 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Republicans should have won the Senate easily, but they nominated really bad candidates
by Timothy P. Carney, Senior Columnist |
November 09, 2022 06:56 AM

There’s a lot of noise as these midterm results flow in, and a few unsettled races at the moment, but this much is clear: Republicans would control the Senate next year had they stuck to nominating good candidates. Instead, typical of the Tea Party-to-Trump Era, Republicans in many key states nominated people who were patently unfit for office.

It goes back to the Massie Theorem. Rep. Thomas Massie explained the Tea Party after the 2016 election.

"All this time," Massie said, "I thought they were voting for libertarian Republicans. But after some soul-searching, I realized when they voted for Rand and Ron and me in these primaries, they weren't voting for libertarian ideas. They were voting for the craziest son of a b**** in the race. And Donald Trump won best in class.”

Nominating the craziest son of a b**** in the race is not a formula for winning governing majorities.

Here’s the raw math:

Republicans, as of 5 a.m. Wednesday, control 48 seats in the Senate, with four states outstanding. (Technically, Alaska is still outstanding, but it is undecided between two Republican candidates.) Republican Ron Johnson will probably win reelection in Wisconsin. That means the GOP would need to win two of the final three races — outstanding contests in Nevada and Arizona, and a likely runoff in Georgia — to control the Senate. So, the odds are decent that Republicans end up with 49 or 50 seats, which is 1 or 2 seats short of Senate control.

Republicans should have won the Georgia Senate race easily this year. They also should have won Pennsylvania.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/republicans-should-have-won-the-senate-easily-but-they-nominated-really-bad-candidates
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
And who chose these candidates...especially when you can't beat a brain dead, incoherent Dem...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
And who chose these candidates...especially when you can't beat a brain dead, incoherent Dem...

Mitch McConnell! AKA Mr. Chao. (He didn't pick them but he sure as hell torpedoed them!)
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Uh, thank Mitch for vastly underfunding any candidate that didn't kiss his ring, even to the point of violating the 11th commandment by funding Democrat endorsing Murkowski over Tshibaka.

The Dems had even more piss poor candidates who denied that inflation and crime even existed. If Americans won't even vote to protect themselves, and would rather feel righteous about things like abortion, then we simply no longer live in the America we knew.

We literally are two countries now.
The Republic is lost.

Offline mountaineer

The Pennsylvania primary featured two RINOs, let's face it - Dave McCormick and Mehmet Oz. If I lived there, I would have held my nose and voted for McCormick. I sincerely believe he would have thrashed Fetterlump, and he may have been a little more conservative than Oz in the long run. Oh well.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Uh, thank Mitch for vastly underfunding any candidate that didn't kiss his ring, even to the point of violating the 11th commandment by funding Democrat endorsing Murkowski over Tshibaka.

The Dems had even more piss poor candidates who denied that inflation and crime even existed. If Americans won't even vote to protect themselves, and would rather feel righteous about things like abortion, then we simply no longer live in the America we knew.

We literally are two countries now.
We have been for forty years now, if not more, it is just becoming more obvious as the Left spins off into the weeds.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis