Author Topic: Science IQ Test  (Read 3941 times)

Offline Hoodat

Re: Science IQ Test
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2022, 12:45:42 am »
Water has a heat capacity of 4.18 J/g C degree
Gold has a heat capacity of 0.129 J/g C degree
The heat of fusion of water is 80 times the heat capacity of water, so one gram of gold will cool down 100 degrees C with the loss of 12.9 Joules.  Ice will melt absorbing 4.18 J x 80 per gram or  334.4 J without changing temperature!
The ratio of 12.9 to 334.4 or .038576 will apply to any respective quantity of gold cooling 100 C and ice just melting without even changing temperature.  So a pound of gold at 100 C requires .038576 pound of ice at 0 to cool it.   .038576 of 16 ounces is 0.617 ounces of ice.

Au contraire, mon frere.  Gold is measured in troy weight.  A troy pound is 0.82286 lbs.  Therefore, it only takes 0.03174 standard lbs of ice.  That comes to 0.508 oz avoirdupois.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2022, 01:50:24 am »
  I have never even seen a troy scale.  I have never been to Troy.  But I have heard that Helen was a babe.

After calculating troy pounds, the answers change very slightly.  But I appreciate the heads up by the learned Hoodat, mon frere bien sur.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 08:53:39 pm by DeerSlayer »
The Book Commentary: "The book (Brilliant Creations - The Wonder of Nature and Life) is pure genius."
Review by John Orosz, M.D. "It is beyond outstanding. Please send me twenty signed copies for colleagues, family, and libraries."
"I was running every morning for twenty years with a genius." - Mike McCartney, D.D.S.
"You have the most agile mind of anyone I know." -
Avice Marie Griffin, PhD, Clinical Psychologist

Offline DB

« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2022, 02:03:02 am »
The poster is using for heat of fusion for water.  The transition from one gram of ice at 0°C to one gram of water at 0°C releases 80 calories of heat (or 334 joules).  So you need to know roughly how much heat is needed to raise the temperature of one gram of gold by 100°C (which is where my guess of 16 cal fell apart).

Okay, I got an F...

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2022, 02:16:11 am »
Another thing to consider is the density of gold is much greater than the density of water.  So eying up the two by volume isn't nearly the contrast as is their weights.  In the answers given above by @DeerSlayer , the volumetric difference isn't that great - the ice representing around 80% the volume of the gold.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline DB

« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2022, 02:35:50 am »
So the transition between water and ice and back has energy hysteresis. Something I had forgotten... So is the energy difference absorbed/released in the change of volume?

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2022, 02:39:12 am »
Not the change in volume, but in the change of state.  Solid ↔ Liquid / Liquid ↔ Gas / Solid ↔ Gas

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline DB

« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2022, 03:39:53 am »
Not the change in volume, but in the change of state.  Solid ↔ Liquid / Liquid ↔ Gas / Solid ↔ Gas

Water has very unique properties.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2022, 03:54:26 am »
That ability to absorb tremendous latent heat makes it useful in firefighting, too.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2022, 02:34:35 pm »

What is "slightly unique"?
The Book Commentary: "The book (Brilliant Creations - The Wonder of Nature and Life) is pure genius."
Review by John Orosz, M.D. "It is beyond outstanding. Please send me twenty signed copies for colleagues, family, and libraries."
"I was running every morning for twenty years with a genius." - Mike McCartney, D.D.S.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2022, 07:54:17 pm »

Yes it does.  It is as if some Intelligent Designer designed it that way.  If water contracted when it froze just like almost every other substance, our oceans would be frozen under from the bottom up.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2022, 08:51:12 pm »
Yes it does.  It is as if some Intelligent Designer designed it that way.  If water contracted when it froze just like almost every other substance, our oceans would be frozen under from the bottom up.

It is just so.

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2022, 12:09:43 am »
Science IQ Test #6

How much ice at 0 degrees Celsius will be required to cool one pound of gold at 100 degrees Celsius, just melting all of the ice so that both are at 0 degrees?

No calculations, please.  Guess.

(It is a wild and crezzy answer from a wild and crezzy guy.)

None of you thawed of this but it is a well-thawed out problem, and I'm not baby billy goating either.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2022, 02:11:04 am »
Knights, Liars, and Knaves

Knights always tell the truth
Liars always lie
Knaves alternate between lying and telling the truth

Alex, Bert, Carl, and Dave are all brothers, with two of them being twins. At least one of them is a knight and makes all true statements. At least one of them is a liar and makes all false statements. And at least one of them is a knave and makes alternating true and false statements. The two which are the same type are the twins. From the statements below:

Alex:
1) Bert is one of the twins.
2) Carl is a liar.

Bert:
1) Carl is one of the twins.
2) Alex is a knight.

Carl:
1) I am not one of the twins.

Determine each type, and identify the twins.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2022, 05:09:59 pm »
Finance IQ Test

If your forebears had invested the equivalent of $1.00 U.S. in the Bank of Israel
2000 years ago.
It pays 4% annual compound interest rate.

Guess, don't calculate, how much gold that would equate to at the current spot price.

You will not be within several orders of magnitude.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2022, 11:21:15 pm »
The Bank of Israel was founded on 24 August 1954.

Online Kamaji

« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2022, 11:33:08 pm »
Finance IQ Test

If your forebears had invested the equivalent of $1.00 U.S. in the Bank of Israel
2000 years ago.
It pays 4% annual compound interest rate.

Guess, don't calculate, how much gold that would equate to at the current spot price.

You will not be within several orders of magnitude.

At a very hazy guess, about 2^89 ounces of gold.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2022, 12:15:57 am »
How about around 2E27 Kg of gold

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2022, 04:44:18 am »
The Bank of Israel was founded on 24 August 1954.

Well, there's that. 

Also, (1.04)2000 is a really really really big number.  Take all the gold currently in circulation and multiply that number by itself twice.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2022, 12:25:19 am »
The correct answer is ~8,500 earths made of solid gold.

The following question and solution were offered in a national financial periodical some time ago.

If your distant relative deposited $1.00 in the Bank of Jerusalem when Christ was born, for you to withdraw at the Millenium, and it compounded at 4% annually, what would it be worth in 2000 ?

The answer offered by the periodical:  The entire earth, in solid gold.  This answer seemed far too incredible to be correct, so I checked it myself.

1.04 exp 2000 = $1.1659 x 10exp 34
Assume $800/ounce for gold
Density of gold is 19.3 g/cc
19.3 g.cc x 1 ounce/28.35 g x (2.54)exp3 cm/cubic inch = 11.1559 ounces/cubic inch

$1.1659 x 10exp 34 / $1,800/ounce =  ounces of gold
1.4574 x 10exp 31 ounces/11.1559 ounces/cubic inch = 1.30639 x 10exp 30 cubic inches

1.30639 x 10exp30 cubic inches/1,728 cubic inches/cubic foot = 7.5601 x 10exp 26 cubic feet of gold

Vearth = 4/3 pi x (3,963 x 5,280) exp3 = 3.8376 x 10exp 22 cubic feet.

7.5601 x 1026 / 3.8376 x 1022 = 19,597 earths at $800 per ounce so for $1800 spot price Oct 23, 2021
800/1,800 = .44444 x 19,597 = 8,709 earths

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2022, 08:46:52 am »
Midnight Epiphany

It just occurred to me that Darwinists/atheists "worship one less God" than Christians and Jews.  This is, they think, a brilliant analysis.

In fact, Darwinists/atheists worship themselves for their claimed intellect. They worship science, and it has let them down, badly.  Their prime Darwinist/atheist, Richard Dawkins, is so filled with bitterness, hatred, and himself that he is consumed with anti-science, claiming it to be *science*.

Their ultimate excuse for teaching anti-science is just this:

"WHAT will we teach if not Darwinism?"

Oh please.  One of many nonsense claims for their worship is the lunacy that all the monkeys in the world typing on all the typewriters in the world would produce all the books in the world, or at least all Shakespeare's works.

The probability of 1 in 10 to the 50th power is a reasonable definition of "impossible."  There are over 100 characters/keystrokes on a keyboard, so "impossible" is reached at only 25 characters.  And 10 to the 50th grains of sand would fill 15 spheres the size of our solar system out to Pluto.

Find that one unique grain of sand, on your first and only try.
THAT is the definition of "one chance in"...

Q.E.D.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 09:19:13 am by ChemEngrMBA »