Author Topic: 3 Jewish immigrants say fear of oppression drives their run as Republican candidates  (Read 259 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

3 Jewish immigrants say fear of oppression drives their run as Republican candidates

Karina Lipsman in Virginia, Yuri Dashevsky in Brooklyn and Angela Grabovsky in Indianapolis are all House hopefuls and highlight the different politics of former Soviet Jews
By RON KAMPEAS
Today, 2:09 pm
 WASHINGTON (JTA) — It’s a familiar pitch from American Jewish politicians: Our ancestors fled repression to enjoy the freedoms America offers, and your vote for me will help preserve them.

The difference for these three Jewish congressional longshots is that they are Republicans, and the flight from the oppression they describe happened not generations ago, but in their lifetimes.

Karina Lipsman in northern Virginia, Yuri Dashevsky in Brooklyn and Angela Grabovsky in Indianapolis are all candidates for the US House of Representatives who were born in the former Soviet Union.

None is likely to enter Congress, but their candidacies are significant because their stories illustrate a conventional wisdom about the subset of American Jewry that was born in the Soviet Union: They are the flip side of the majority of American Jews who overwhelmingly favor liberal policies and Democratic politicians.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/3-jewish-immigrants-say-fear-of-oppression-drives-their-run-as-republican-candidates/
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 05:05:02 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson