Author Topic: Dominic Lawson: You can have green or growth — but not both  (Read 195 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Dominic Lawson: You can have green or growth — but not both
« on: November 08, 2022, 04:07:23 pm »
Dominic Lawson: You can have green or growth — but not both

NOVEMBER 6, 2022
By Paul Homewood

Dominic Lawson nails it:

Just think of all the important world leaders that Rishi Sunak could persuade to join the UK in the great “net zero carbon” campaign when the British PM makes the trip this week that he originally said he didn’t have time for: to the Cop 27 climate conference in Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt. The leaders of China and India, whose combined refusal at the Cop26 meeting in Glasgow to agree any date for abandoning coal use reduced Alok Sharma, the British president of the event, to tears; the leader of the world’s second-largest exporter of coal, Australia; the leader of Canada, where oil production has reached record levels of more than five million barrels a day; the leader of Russia, the planet’s biggest exporter of hydrocarbons.

Except not one of those countries’ leaders will be present. Admittedly President Putin is too busy terrorising and murdering Ukrainians to find time. But Messrs Xi, Modi, Albanese and Trudeau also have more pressing engagements in their diaries. A chap might be forgiven for wondering if they are less than fully committed to playing their part in the great cause, and don’t want to be publicly lectured on the matter by Greta Thunberg.

Though it turns out that the world’s most feted environmentalist isn’t attending either, having denounced the whole process as “greenwashing”. However, Ms Thunberg did show up last week in London to promote the latest publication bearing her name: The Climate Book. She took the opportunity to explain to her adoring audience that “the climate crisis has its roots in racist, oppressive extractivism”.

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2022/11/06/dominic-lawson-you-can-have-green-or-growth-but-not-both/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson