Author Topic: University Bias  (Read 508 times)

Offline Kamaji

University Bias
« on: November 07, 2022, 09:10:18 pm »
University Bias

“Bias Reporting Systems” are a major threat to campus free speech. It’s up to state legislators to do something about them.

Anthony Sabatini
Nov 7, 2022

The Sunshine State is leading the way in education reform. Florida recently enacted legislation that increases transparency on campuses and redirects our public colleges and universities toward expanding knowledge and forging citizens rather than appeasing partisan interests and accrediting agencies. The state’s institutions of higher learning will now be far less inclined to act as ideological training grounds, discriminating against individuals and groups because of certain views and beliefs.

However, state legislators still have work ahead of them. They must develop and pass laws that immobilize and dismantle Bias Reporting Systems (BRSs). Increasingly prevalent on American campuses, BRSs are a major threat to First Amendment Rights. According to a report from Speech First, there has been a 200 percent increase in BRSs over the last five years alone. Of the 820 colleges and universities the organization examined, more than half currently have BRSs in operation.

BRSs are meant to monitor, investigate, and discipline students for “bias incidents.” Students are encouraged to submit anonymous reports on one another for anything they believe fits this description. One easily understands why they quickly go sideways: “bias” is entirely subjective, and colleges and universities often define it as anything a student happens to find “offensive.” Essentially, BRSs turn students into informants, incentivizing them to snitch on each other to carry out personal vendettas and grievances. Due process and the essential exchange of ideas are, more often than not, the victims.

Speech First, the organization mentioned above, sued the University of Central Florida in February 2021, contending that the university’s BRS (the “Just Knights Response Team”), violated foundational free-speech rights. The Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals ruled in favor of Speech First stating that the BRS does chill student speech and leads to self-censorship because “No reasonable college student wants to run the risk of being accused of “offensive,” “hostile,” “negative,” or “harmful” conduct—let alone “hate or bias. Nor would the average college student want to run the risk that the University will “track” her, “monitor” her, or mount a “comprehensive response” against her.” This past September, UCF settled, agreeing not only to eliminate its BRS and pay Speech First $35,000 in fees, but also to modify other campus policies to protect students’ First Amendment rights.

This was a groundbreaking win, but what’s needed is a comprehensive approach to addressing BRSs that must now come from elected officials.

Source:  https://www.theamericanconservative.com/university-bias/

Online roamer_1

Re: University Bias
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2022, 09:32:44 pm »
*Nothing* will stop it until campuses are held liable in some way for what they teach. So long as government grants pave the way to education, and the hit for poor choices is absorbed only by the user... The dynamics remain, and thus nothing will change.

If the college lost money for sending people into 'lesbian dance studies' that subject matter would not long remain. But as it is, the college is held inviolate - and there is no pain for the college.

Stupid should hurt. Always.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2022, 09:36:53 pm »
*Nothing* will stop it until campuses are held liable in some way for what they teach. So long as government grants pave the way to education, and the hit for poor choices is absorbed only by the user... The dynamics remain, and thus nothing will change.

If the college lost money for sending people into 'lesbian dance studies' that subject matter would not long remain. But as it is, the college is held inviolate - and there is no pain for the college.

Can't speak to other states, but those like Iowa fund a large part of their college/university system out of state govt funds. They could end alot of it in one fell swoop.

It's all a matter of political will.
The Republic is lost.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2022, 09:42:47 pm »
Can't speak to other states, but those like Iowa fund a large part of their college/university system out of state govt funds. They could end alot of it in one fell swoop.

It's all a matter of political will.

That's true here in Montana too, but somehow those state 'grants' are rolled into federal student loans... So the same end remains.

However, if the states did have the will to regulate education with more discernment, and withheld support from various subjects, that would act as a bit of throttle... 10 or 15% I would suppose. So there is that.

But that leaves education in the political realm even yet (who picks the deciders?), when the best solution would necessarily be tied to the market.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2022, 02:33:09 pm »

That's a broader issue, not just one of poor course selection (which is, for the most part, voluntary; schools don't send someone to lesbian dance studies).

That being said, to my mind, every school with an endowment above a certain minimum level should be required to have at least 20% of its own money behind every student loan issued to every student of theirs, and that 20% slice should be subordinated to all other lenders, and should not benefit from the anti-bankruptcy protections that apply to all student loans currently.

The schools would become much more prudent about the fluff courses they offered (i.e., courses that don't lead to remunerative work post-graduation), and the students they admitted.  And, with less demand, tuition would begin to drop as well.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2022, 02:42:12 pm »
That's a broader issue, not just one of poor course selection (which is, for the most part, voluntary; schools don't send someone to lesbian dance studies).

That being said, to my mind, every school with an endowment above a certain minimum level should be required to have at least 20% of its own money behind every student loan issued to every student of theirs, and that 20% slice should be subordinated to all other lenders, and should not benefit from the anti-bankruptcy protections that apply to all student loans currently.

The schools would become much more prudent about the fluff courses they offered (i.e., courses that don't lead to remunerative work post-graduation), and the students they admitted.  And, with less demand, tuition would begin to drop as well.

We're on the same track - And I know the student chooses the crappy courses... Young skulls full of mush, and so on...

And I want you to know I am uncomfortable with my position in this: Caveat Emptor is king. And the student rightfully deserves the most pain for the most stupid... Albeit that I do not believe that student loan debt should survive bankruptcy, when it is often those very loans that cause the need for bankruptcy.

Still the overhead structure of our education system needs to be tied to the market somehow, and should not be held inviolate for that which it causes. It needs competition and consequences to keep it in a profitable cone, which should relate naturally to teaching what should be taught.

Your way is as good a start as any.  happy77

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2022, 02:44:36 pm »
We're on the same track - And I know the student chooses the crappy courses... Young skulls full of mush, and so on...

And I want you to know I am uncomfortable with my position in this: Caveat Emptor is king. And the student rightfully deserves the most pain for the most stupid... Albeit that I do not believe that student loan debt should survive bankruptcy, when it is often those very loans that cause the need for bankruptcy.

Still the overhead structure of our education system needs to be tied to the market somehow, and should not be held inviolate for that which it causes. It needs competition and consequences to keep it in a profitable cone, which should relate naturally to teaching what should be taught.

The school structure definitely needs some market discipline.  The administration of most big universities is so bloated it's not even funny.  I was reading somewhere a few days ago that Harvard now has a one-to-one ratio of administrators to undergraduate students.  That's just nuts.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2022, 02:51:53 pm »
The school structure definitely needs some market discipline.  The administration of most big universities is so bloated it's not even funny.  I was reading somewhere a few days ago that Harvard now has a one-to-one ratio of administrators to undergraduate students.  That's just nuts.

That's where the respective govts need to tell universities that they will fund departments and not admins, and only those departments who can place a decided minimum of students into the private sector.

Watch that fat disappear like an over barbequed piece of meat.
The Republic is lost.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2022, 02:57:15 pm »
That's where the respective govts need to tell universities that they will fund departments and not admins, and only those departments who can place a decided minimum of students into the private sector.

Watch that fat disappear like an over barbequed piece of meat.

Better, but I don't like deciders... Especially in government. I think the biggest fault of all is government guaranteed loans. That's the main leg propping the whole damn thing up. We need to get Uncle Nanny OUT of the student loan business altogether.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2022, 02:58:55 pm »

Yep. That's nuts alright... And a prime indicator that something is terribly wrong with the system. Someone has to come along and knock the props out... Let it live or die.

Online DB

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2022, 03:09:58 pm »
Student loans should come from the colleges and not backed by government.

If they make bad loans they suffer the consequences when those students can't pay their debts.

If they offer courses that can't provide a sufficient income to pay the costs then they suffer the consequences when those students can't pay their debts.

If they want to reject merit and choose students based on race then they suffer the consequences when those students can't pay their debts.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2022, 03:12:51 pm »
Better, but I don't like deciders... Especially in government. I think the biggest fault of all is government guaranteed loans. That's the main leg propping the whole damn thing up. We need to get Uncle Nanny OUT of the student loan business altogether.

I don't either, but I like a govt funded institution being told they need to deliver results with taxpayer money.

The loan thing is a whole other bird. It's keeps a self perpetual cycle of sustained inflation where no one can afford school without a loan, which makes the price higher, which requires bigger loans...

Dealing with that is going to require radical shifts in alot of areas of American psyche that the suburbanites aren't willing to deal with. No Suzie, you're not going to Harvard to get a Vagina Studies degree because you think your deserving and special.
The Republic is lost.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2022, 04:10:39 pm »
Student loans should come from the colleges and not backed by government.

If they make bad loans they suffer the consequences when those students can't pay their debts.

If they offer courses that can't provide a sufficient income to pay the costs then they suffer the consequences when those students can't pay their debts.

If they want to reject merit and choose students based on race then they suffer the consequences when those students can't pay their debts.

That's right in a raw capitalist market. And a way better idea.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2022, 04:13:25 pm »
I don't either, but I like a govt funded institution being told they need to deliver results with taxpayer money.

The loan thing is a whole other bird. It's keeps a self perpetual cycle of sustained inflation where no one can afford school without a loan, which makes the price higher, which requires bigger loans...

Dealing with that is going to require radical shifts in alot of areas of American psyche that the suburbanites aren't willing to deal with. No Suzie, you're not going to Harvard to get a Vagina Studies degree because you think your deserving and special.

And once all that is fixed, its STILL not fixed, because of government grants directly to colleges and departments, beyond mere enrollment and student loans - Just as much of a problem.

It's a racket.