Author Topic: New York City opens new emergency center for asylum-seekers in a Midtown hotel  (Read 324 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
New York City opens new emergency center for asylum-seekers in a Midtown hotel
While the tents at Randall’s Island remain far below capacity, the city is opening a new HERRC at the Hotel Wolcott in Manhattan.

By SAHALIE DONALDSON | NOVEMBER 3, 2022
With the number of newly arrived asylum-seekers now stretching past an estimated 22,000 people, a third emergency relief center will soon open at a Midtown hotel – this time for single women and adult families, New York City Mayor Eric Adams announced Thursday morning.

News of the Humanitarian Emergency Response and Relief Center comes after reports from the city that the rate of new arrivals has slowed significantly since President Joe Biden’s administration implemented a set of new policies intended to manage the swell of Venezuelan migrants entering the country. But while the tent complex on Randall’s Island for single men has remained far below its capacity of 1,000 beds, Adams said in a statement that “a steady stream of single adult women and adult families” have continued to arrive to New York.

Like the other emergency relief centers, the new center will be a first point of contact for asylum-seeking women and adult familes. There, city officials say, they’ll receive services like food, medical care, case work and help charting their next steps. The center, which will be located at the Hotel Wolcott, will include 175 rooms.

emergency-center-asylum-seekers-midtown-hotel/379322/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
With the number of newly arrived asylum-seekers now stretching past an estimated 22,000 people

In NYC there are 5 times as many homeless American children.  What is this great, compassionate mayor doing for them? *****rollingeyes*****
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

In NYC there are 5 times as many homeless American children.  What is this great, compassionate mayor doing for them? *****rollingeyes*****

And homeless vets, too.