Author Topic: Washington Post: “Countries vowed to ramp up climate pledges in 2022. Very few have”  (Read 170 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Washington Post: “Countries vowed to ramp up climate pledges in 2022. Very few have”
13 hours ago Eric Worrall 17 Comments
Essay by Eric Worrall

UN Secretary General António Guterres sad face – COP27 has become a zombie climate conference, photo opportunities but no genuine action.

Countries vowed to ramp up climate pledges in 2022. Very few have.

By Brady Dennis and Harry Stevens
Nov. 3 at 7:00 a.m.

Last fall, at a high-profile global climate summit in Scotland, the countries of the world embraced what seemed like a significant commitment in the quest to combat climate change.

Acknowledging that progress had been too slow, leaders agreed to “revisit and strengthen” their national climate targets if possible over the coming year — rather than waiting every five years, as envisioned under the 2015 Paris climate accord.

But as the world prepares to reconvene in Egypt this month for COP27, the annual U.N. climate change conference, almost none of the globe’s biggest emitters have come forward with stronger commitments. Few nations overall have ramped up their ambition, despite another year of floods, fires and other climate-related catastrophes.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2022/11/04/wsj-countries-vowed-to-ramp-up-climate-pledges-in-2022-very-few-have/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson