Author Topic: Daylight saving: Americans want to stop changing the clock but can’t agree how  (Read 1257 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Daylight saving: Americans want to stop changing the clock but can’t agree how
by Daniel de Visé - 11/05/22 5:52 AM ET

State legislatures, sleep scientists and the public all seem to agree that the annual rite of springing forward and falling back has got to go. But the nation has not found consensus on what should replace it.

Nineteen states have passed laws or resolutions in the past five years to make daylight saving time permanent if Congress — and, in some cases, other states — permits the change. Two states, Arizona and Hawaii, have long followed permanent standard time, which the law already allows.

In standard time, noon arrives when the sun hangs highest in the sky. Daylight saving time shifts the clock forward, moving sunset one hour later. Currently, most of the United States operates on daylight saving time between March and November and on standard time for the rest of the year. The nation will bid goodbye to daylight saving time on Sunday, at least for now.

Scientists view standard time as the natural setting for the planet and the human body. Most sleep experts prefer it to daylight saving time for reasons of health.

“What standard time does is, it optimizes our light in the morning,” said Beth Malow, a professor of neurology and pediatrics at Vanderbilt University. “And we really need light in the morning to wake us up, to get us going, to reset our whole internal clock with what goes on in the world around us.”

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/3720176-daylight-saving-americans-want-to-stop-changing-the-clock-but-cant-agree-how/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline aligncare

Twice a year it’s the same BS.  You gotta hunt down all the clocks in the house (there are more than most people realize), fumble around with them, and in one unfortunate instance, drop the expensive wall clock to the ground smashing it to pieces.

DST got to go NOW!  Right this minute!

Oh, and there are many important health reasons to go standard, too.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I proposed the solution once before.
Just "set the clocks back" for 30 minutes (instead of an hour), and leave 'em there year 'round...

Offline roamer_1

Twice a year it’s the same BS.  You gotta hunt down all the clocks in the house (there are more than most people realize), fumble around with them, and in one unfortunate instance, drop the expensive wall clock to the ground smashing it to pieces.

It's getting better though... I only have two clocks to manage - all the rest are automatic, tied to time servers.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

:amen: and  :amen:

We waste millions of man hours every year needlessly fiddling with clocks! On that basis alone it should end immediately!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 09:04:45 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

:thumbsup:

Offline EdinVA

Of all the things in life that we deal with, changing the clocks has never been in my top 100 issues.... don't care one way or the other.

Offline aligncare

Of all the things in life that we deal with, changing the clocks has never been in my top 100 issues.... don't care one way or the other.

It’s not just the hassle of adjusting the clocks. Going back and forth between DST and standard time screws with meals and sleep schedules, toilet habits, focus and mental acuity.  It takes me a week or more to adjust to the change and get back into the swing of things.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Either way is fine with me.  Just stop the insanity of moving the clocks twice a year.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Since I live in AZ, I don't have to worry about changing the clocks twice a year.  That said, if they ever do away with DST make it always Standard Time.  If "They" ever decide to shift to permanent DST they better leave AZ the f*** alone.  Dittos Hawaii and Alaska.  10PM sunsets get old, fast.

China doesn't do DST, and neither does France.  I had Team Members in both places.  Meetings were fun.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline roamer_1

Since I live in AZ, I don't have to worry about changing the clocks twice a year.  That said, if they ever do away with DST make it always Standard Time.  If "They" ever decide to shift to permanent DST they better leave AZ the f*** alone.  Dittos Hawaii and Alaska.  10PM sunsets get old, fast.

China doesn't do DST, and neither does France.  I had Team Members in both places.  Meetings were fun.

Clocks don't mean nothing to me... I live on natural time - which aligns pretty good to standard. A hand sideways in the sky marks an hour... each finger about 15 minutes.

I threw away my watch years ago.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Clocks don't mean nothing to me... I live on natural time - which aligns pretty good to standard. A hand sideways in the sky marks an hour... each finger about 15 minutes.

I threw away my watch years ago.
Yep. I haven't worn a watch in 40 years. If I'm working, I run on whatever time the rig is on, and with 12 hour days for me, my schedule is a mess anyway. If I'm not, I have been running on 'Indian Time' for so long, it just comes naturally.

I camped in the desert many moons ago, no electricity, no artificial light, waiting for the rig to all get to the site nearby and get set up. In just a couple of days, I was up with the sun and ready for bed about an hour after dark. I think that's hardwired into us.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

Yep. I haven't worn a watch in 40 years. If I'm working, I run on whatever time the rig is on, and with 12 hour days for me, my schedule is a mess anyway. If I'm not, I have been running on 'Indian Time' for so long, it just comes naturally.

I camped in the desert many moons ago, no electricity, no artificial light, waiting for the rig to all get to the site nearby and get set up. In just a couple of days, I was up with the sun and ready for bed about an hour after dark. I think that's hardwired into us.

Yup... And a dog wakes me up a helluva lot better than an alarm clock.  :beer:

Offline Kamaji

It's even more fun when one has team members - and clients - in places that do DST, just at different times of the year from you.  I have clients where I have to remember that they do DST two weeks before we do, so for two weeks there is a 5 hour difference instead of the usual 6 hour difference.

Offline roamer_1

It's even more fun when one has team members - and clients - in places that do DST, just at different times of the year from you.  I have clients where I have to remember that they do DST two weeks before we do, so for two weeks there is a 5 hour difference instead of the usual 6 hour difference.

I done a bit of that international thing. Too big a PIA. It's enough trouble trying to remember differences between here and Seattle or Chicago/St Louis/KC  :shrug:

Online cato potatoe

WTF?  Just pick one.  A fraction of schedules need to be adjusted seasonally.  Let them deal with that.  The earth's rotation is what it is ... stop arguing with it and move on. 

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
There is a solution to all of this: UTC. Everywhere is the same international standard time, stop using local time.

If we can't get on the world's metric standard, at least we can lead the way in using the scientific standard for time in everyday use.

If we're going to stick with local time, I still prefer DST.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
There is a solution to all of this: UTC. Everywhere is the same international standard time, stop using local time.

If we can't get on the world's metric standard, at least we can lead the way in using the scientific standard for time in everyday use.

Now that's an idea I haven't heard before.....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Standard time worked just fine for centuries and would do so again but NO! We just have to fix that which is not broken!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline rustynail

Island time should be the standard for the world.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

NOPE! DST screws with UTC as well and there is absolutely no need for DST!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

That would take some getting used to as I type this local time is 8:20 am, UTC would be 4:20 pm **nononono* I would prefer we just stay on DST and quit screwing around, the time change jacks me around but it is really hard on the dog she figures feeding time by how light or dark it is and this makes it very confusing.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 04:23:41 pm by GtHawk »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
That would take some getting used to as I type this local time is 8:20 am, UTC would be 4:20 pm **nononono*

Is that 4:20 pm Standard or DST?

- J. R. R. Tolkien