General Category > General Discussion

Hints on How to Improve Your Life

(1/4) > >>

ChemEngrMBA:
Through the years, we are always learning.

All of us are smarter than any of us.

It might take me hours to post little known things I have learned or developed that can help you too!  I'll start with these. Please add your own tips. (No politics)

1.  I used to drink a cherry coke for lunch and another for late night snack. Love that poison.  I also took calcium carbonate pills as nutritional supplement.  AVOID THEM BOTH!  I developed very painful kidney stones on both sides, requiring surgery.  Now I take calcium gluconate, or CitriCal and drink carbonated beverages only once or twice a month.

Calcium carbonate is limestone. HELLO!  Limestone in your ureters will make you sad.  (I also ran 6 miles every day for 25 years, and many marathons, which resulted in my developing atrial fibrillation.  I thought it was healthy - strong like lion. Not so much.  Don't do a marathon or run more than 6 miles a few times a week.  It took two cardiac ablations to correct my AFib.)

2.  I used to write checks to pay bills in the amount due.  It's a pain in the butt subtracting $69.73 from your balance.  I started rounding up to the next $10 long ago, especially my house payment when I had one.  I rounded that up to the next $100, sometimes $200 or $400 more, to pay down my home loan faster.  It's like putting money in a savings account.

Rounding every payment up to the next $10, even if you pay online, makes subtracting from your current balance a cinch.  When small bills, like water, are under $20, double up on them so the following month, you will have a credit balance and don't even have to pay it!

3.  My cell phone directory has ~360 names on it. I contact city officials several times a week to report problems they need to address, so I have a lot of their names and can't remember them all. I file them by Department, then name.  Tennis Allen.  Pickleball Ted and Val.  Coffee Bob.  Ralphs Manager John.

I'll stop at three so as not to overload your heads. Lots goin' on in this crazy world. I hope this has been a welcome reprieve from it.   If it has not, let me know and I will have to hunt you down and, well, you know......

"We scientists have found that doing a kindness produces the single most reliable momentary increase in well-being of any exercise we have tested..." – Martin Seligman, psychologist, in his book Flourish

"People crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."- Steve Jobs

β€œThe reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

Call me unreasonable.

Cyber Liberty:
:bkmk:

DCPatriot:
The chances of #2 working are between "slim" and "none".

Oh sure, you'll have a claim that you made all those principle curtailments, but to trust the banks computer to provide your absolute correct balance at years end??  Ridiculous!

Better to have an original amortization schedule listing all 180 (15 yr) or 360 (30 yr) monthly payments so that you can go forward under the "principle paid this month) column and send it an exact amount.

This way, you know EXACTLY what your balance is once said check clears.

ChemEngrMBA:

--- Quote from: Cyber Liberty on November 05, 2022, 03:16:18 pm ---:bkmk:

--- End quote ---

I'm guessing that red ribbon from Boss is a good thing.
Thank you kindly for it. 
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anything else good and proper you'd like me to present to the troops?

ChemEngrMBA:

--- Quote from: DCPatriot on November 05, 2022, 03:56:18 pm ---The chances of #2 working are between "slim" and "none".

Oh sure, you'll have a claim that you made all those principle (sic) curtailments, but to trust the banks computer to provide your absolute correct balance at years end??  Ridiculous!

Better to have an original amortization schedule listing all 180 (15 yr) or 360 (30 yr) monthly payments so that you can go forward under the "principle paid this month) column and send it an exact amount.

This way, you know EXACTLY what your balance is once said check clears.

--- End quote ---

Modified Nov 11:
After reflecting on this incredible cynicism, it occurred to me that the *businessman* might treat his own customers the same way he accuses mortgage companies of conducting themselves.  Projection.  Honest people expect others to also be honest.  We don't think negatively because that is not our nature.  You can still count your change and be careful, but cynicism and negativity, as expressed by our ever so clever businessman harm much more than they help.
END OF AMENDMENT
----------------------------------------

In the first place, my loan WAS on a 15-year amortization.
In the second place, it is a very simple matter to calculate accrued interest and principal reduction.
Third, the next interest charge drops considerably compared with what it would have been.

Finally, you must not be aware that businesses do not intentionally cheat customers. Such illegal actions bring on lawsuits and bad press.   Governments, federal, state and local DO cheat citizens constantly.  You pay more and more taxes while getting less and less for your money.  Look at education.

Democrats badmouth businesses, following the lead of Karl Marx, a lazy, good-for-nothing, filthy bum whose ideas resulted in evil governments that murdered over a hundred million and continues in earnest to this day worldwide.  Hundreds of millions around the world have learned nothing from history.  You have politicized this apolitical thread quite improperly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version