Author Topic: Europe’s climate warming at twice rate of global average, claims WMO  (Read 454 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Europe’s climate warming at twice rate of global average, claims WMO

NOVEMBER 4, 2022
tags: europe
By Paul Homewood

From the Guardian:

Temperatures in Europe have increased at more than twice the global average in the last 30 years, according to a report from the World Meteorological Organization (WMO).

The effects of this warming are already being seen, with droughts, wildfires and ice melts taking place across the continent. The European State of the Climate report, produced with the EU’s Copernicus service, warns that as the warming trend continues, exceptional heat, wildfires, floods and other climate breakdown outcomes will affect society, economies and ecosystems.

From 1991 to 2021, temperatures in Europe have warmed at an average rate of about 0.5C a decade. This has had physical results: Alpine glaciers lost 30 metres in ice thickness between 1997 and 2021, while the Greenland ice sheet has also been melting, contributing to sea level rise. In summer 2021, Greenland had its first ever recorded rainfall at its highest point, Summit station.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/nov/02/europes-climate-warming-at-twice-rate-of-global-average-says-report

The claim comes from a WMO report, featuring this graph:

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2022/11/04/europes-climate-warming-at-twice-rate-of-global-average-claims-wmo/
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 02:44:44 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Europe’s climate warming at twice rate of global average, claims WMO
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2022, 02:45:52 pm »
Can "global warming" pick and choose where it will create the most problems? :shrug:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2022, 02:49:34 pm »
Can "global warming" pick and choose where it will create the most problems? :shrug:

Walt Disney is spinning in his grave. He thought pixie dust could do anything and everything magical. If he had only realized at the time that he should have used global warming instead.
The Republic is lost.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2022, 06:30:10 pm »
I could be wrong but I seem to recall the Gaia worshipers trying this same stupid claim for other parts of the world. Looking at the predictions for Europe's winter they run from average to slightly warmer and some are linking that to la Nina not freakin global warming, as if there have never been warmer winters in the past. This winter if it's warmer will be a good thing for Europeans.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2022, 06:33:57 pm »
:facepalm2:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2022, 06:42:38 pm »
Whew! I'm glad! That will really help them out this winter when there ain't no heat.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2022, 07:04:31 pm »
Whew! I'm glad! That will really help them out this winter when there ain't no heat.

Good point!