Author Topic: Affirmative action on the line as Supreme Court hears Harvard and UNC admissions case  (Read 2902 times)

Offline mountaineer

Dershowitz:  "I don’t believe that these universities are interested in intellectual, academic diversity. They're interested only in having a photograph that shows a significant number of people — it’s a quota system."

https://twitter.com/Logan_Ratick/status/1587460340505157637
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Hoodat

If universities were really interested in diversity, they would hire more Conservative faculty members.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
If universities were really interested in diversity, they would hire more Conservative faculty members.

:yowsa:  pointing-up
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

Exactly.

Offline mountaineer

U.S. Supreme Court likely to end affirmative action in college admissions: legal experts
'This proved to be a full-contact oral argument for both the advocates and the justices,' law professor Jonathan Turley stated to Fox News.
    By Ian Miles Cheong | November 01, 2022

Supreme Court experts have said that the Justices are likely to end the use of affirmative action in college admissions.

Speaking to Fox News, George Washington University law professor Jonathan Turley said, “This proved to be a full-contact oral argument for both the advocates and the justices,” and that “The challengers clearly had a better day before the court.”

The court previously heard two other cases on the use of race admissions at Harvard University and the University of North Carolina. The activist group, Students for Fair Admissions, brought forward both cases, Fox News reported.

“Chief Justice Roberts at points appeared to be losing his patience with Harvard's counsel Seth Waxman due to his combative style in oral argument,” Turley said in an interview with Fox News Digital. “Waxman spoke over a number of justices who asked questions and did not appear responsive to direct questions from justices.” ... Rebel News

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Reading what KJB is saying is like a masters course in woke thinking. Mostly circular logic based on fictional, non-provable, or nearly faith based assumptions.

It's like arguing that cricknats are better than beztipuls.
The Republic is lost.

Offline mountaineer

Richard Hanania
@RichardHanania
In a discussion over affirmative action, Sotomayor ironically shows she doesn't know the basic difference between "de facto" and "de jure." It's not a slip of the tongue, they go back and forth, Alito tries to correct her and she proceeds to make the same mistake.

Someone observing the oral argument tells me that Kagan was trying to make a coherent point, and was interrupted by Sotomayor asking some nonsense question. Kagan then "immediately folded her head into her hands and then glared at Soto."

Offline Kamaji

Richard Hanania
@RichardHanania
In a discussion over affirmative action, Sotomayor ironically shows she doesn't know the basic difference between "de facto" and "de jure." It's not a slip of the tongue, they go back and forth, Alito tries to correct her and she proceeds to make the same mistake.

Someone observing the oral argument tells me that Kagan was trying to make a coherent point, and was interrupted by Sotomayor asking some nonsense question. Kagan then "immediately folded her head into her hands and then glared at Soto."

That is a little shocking, to be perfectly honest.  The only de jure discrimination in the U.S. at this point is the discrimination she is trying to defend - i.e., affirmative action.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

"I don’t need affirmative action to be successful.  Stop treating my blackness like it’s a disability.'  (Video)

https://mobile.twitter.com/thecjpearson/status/1587503362597077000

Online berdie

AA should be on the line. In today's world, there should be no race issue. IMNSHO, the "race" question should not be on the application at all. Look at the qualifications, period.

Offline mountaineer

That is a little shocking, to be perfectly honest.  The only de jure discrimination in the U.S. at this point is the discrimination she is trying to defend - i.e., affirmative action.
Exactly. Justice Thomas said as much when one of the lawyers tried to defend racial discrimination in the form of preferences.

Offline Hoodat

Richard Hanania
@RichardHanania
In a discussion over affirmative action, Sotomayor ironically shows she doesn't know the basic difference between "de facto" and "de jure."

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
This could easily turn out to be the most significant court ruling made since the founding of America.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
AA should be on the line. In today's world, there should be no race issue. IMNSHO, the "race" question should not be on the application at all. Look at the qualifications, period.
I have been saying that for years. If I have to check those boxes, the question is "Why?". None of those are supposed to be a factor in whether or not I am a qualified applicant, and let the best qualified applicant win.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I have been saying that for years. If I have to check those boxes, the question is "Why?". None of those are supposed to be a factor in whether or not I am a qualified applicant, and let the best qualified applicant win.

Operation "Bootstrap" should have been ditched 30 years ago.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Hoodat

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
If you want to stop racial discrimination stop doing it! 

Affirmative action is just racial discrimination by another name.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

If you want to stop racial discrimination stop doing it! 

Affirmative action is just racial discrimination by another name.

:thumbsup:

Offline Right_in_Virginia