Author Topic: Liberal Rhode Island could send Republican to US House  (Read 416 times)

Online DefiantMassRINO

Liberal Rhode Island could send Republican to US House
« on: October 31, 2022, 02:25:36 pm »
https://www.boston.com/news/politics/2022/10/31/liberal-rhode-island-could-send-republican-to-us-house/?p1=hp_featurestack
Liberal Rhode Island could send Republican to US House
Nationally, Democrats up for election face headwinds because voters are blaming President Joe Biden and the Democratic Party for inflation.

By JENNIFER McDERMOTT, Associated Press
October 31, 2022 | 7:57 AM

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — In liberal Rhode Island, Republican Allan Fung stands a chance of flipping a U.S. House seat and possibly helping his party gain control of the chamber.

There is just one Republican in New England’s congressional delegation, U.S. Sen. Susan Collins of Maine. Fung saw an opportunity to break the Democratic Party’s three-decade hold on the seat for Rhode Island’s 2nd Congressional District when longtime Democratic Rep. Jim Langevin announced his retirement this year.

Despite Fung’s momentum, some political observers say it’s still hard to fathom a Republican pulling off such a big win in Rhode Island. But many others say it’s a tossup, or think Fung could have a slight edge over Democrat Seth Magaziner. Moderate candidate William Gilbert is also on the ballot.

“All the ingredients are there for the right kind of Republican to win that district and Allan Fung is the right kind of Republican,” said Wendy Schiller, a Brown University professor and director of the Taubman Center for American Politics and Policy. ...
Self-Annointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Kamaji

Re: Liberal Rhode Island could send Republican to US House
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2022, 02:32:33 pm »
That would be interesting.

Online DefiantMassRINO

Re: Liberal Rhode Island could send Republican to US House
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2022, 03:04:08 pm »
In the early - mid 1990s, Massachusetts sent two Republicans to the US House of Reps: Peter Torkildsen and Peter Blute.

Republicans can win in Massachusetts if they focus on limited Government and fiscal accountibility.

But, alas, with the Culture Wars, even the Puritans would be too liberal for some elements of the modern GOP.
Self-Annointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright