Author Topic: California set a record for greenhouse gas reductions in 2020, but it means nothing  (Read 195 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
California set a record for greenhouse gas reductions in 2020, but it means nothing

Tony Briscoe - Yesterday 8:00 AM

First, the good news: The amount of planet-warming gases Californians released into the atmosphere in 2020 was 9% less than the previous year — a record decline mostly because of motorists driving less amid the COVID-19 lockdown.

Now, the bad news: The quantity of carbon dioxide spewed by record-setting wildfires that same year effectively erased almost two decades of emission reductions on the part of the world's fifth — and soon to be fourth — largest economy.

Those two findings — both released in a little more than a week's time this month — have painted a grim and confusing portrait of California's efforts to curb global warming. They also come as a U.N. report finds that global greenhouse gas reduction efforts are "highly inadequate."

Word that Californians had effectively reduced carbon dioxide emissions by 35 million metric tons in 2020 — the equivalent of 94 coal plants operating for a year — was announced last week as a part of the California Air Resources Board's annual greenhouse gas emission inventory

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/california-set-a-record-for-greenhouse-gas-reductions-in-2020-but-it-means-nothing/ar-AA13xuRI?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=9454b5561d644c479a1b782ea8f35d18
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson