Author Topic: What Is Going on With the Glaciers at Glacier National Park?  (Read 592 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
What Is Going on With the Glaciers at Glacier National Park?
« on: October 30, 2022, 05:27:43 pm »
What Is Going on With the Glaciers at Glacier National Park?
20 hours ago Guest Blogger 47 Comments
It has now been seven years since the government’s glacier-size tables have been updated

By Roger Roots, J.D., Ph.D.

For the past seven years I have journeyed to Glacier National Park (GNP) during the second week of September to observe the state of the glaciers at their lowest point of each year.  I also try to observe the state of the official literature, signage, films and lectures on the topic of glacier size.

In the spring of 2019 I broke the story that National Park Service had quietly removed signs in GNP which predicted the glaciers would all be gone by 2020.  They removed these signs during the winter when the visitor facilities were closed to the public.  In the past three years the government has transitioned to claims that the glaciers are steadily melting but no one can predict precisely when they’ll disappear.

The average date of first freeze in East Glacier is September 13, and this is generally when the glaciers stop melting and begin growing again.  It is only then that comparisons can be made with prior years.  However, official U.S. government websites show images of GNP’s glaciers with captions giving just the years; not the calendar dates.  By juxtapositioning a photo from, say, “1911,” showing a huge glacier, next to a photo of the same glacier—much diminished—from, say, “2009,” these government websites seek to depict the glaciers as steadily melting. See here, here, and here.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2022/10/29/what-is-going-on-with-the-glaciers-at-glacier-national-park/
« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 05:28:33 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Hoodat

Re: What Is Going on With the Glaciers at Glacier National Park?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2022, 05:31:39 pm »
We should return to the days when Minneapolis, Chicago, and Detroit were covered with glaciers.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2022, 12:35:20 am »
We should return to the days when Minneapolis, Chicago, and Detroit were covered with glaciers.
The residents would migrate south. Not a viable solution for the folks in east St. Louis...

Besides, it would wreck my home value. The last time the glaciers were that far south, the ice was over a mile thick here.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 12:36:09 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Hoodat

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2022, 02:10:35 am »
If it got to that, the libs would be using nukes to keep the ice away.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2022, 04:03:53 am »
I can speak directly about Grinnel glacier...

Most of the pictures 'proving' the warming trend are bullcrap. What they do is find pictures in the wayback that come from a spring/early summer time frame, and then compare those to current pictures from late fall.

Early summer, there is still a ton of snowpack on the glacier so it looks way bigger. By late fall, the glacier is always diminished.

That ain't quite true, but true enough. I remember right out of high school by a year or two (so early 80s maybe), it was getting pretty small, and there was talk that it might be having trouble... But we were in a multi-year drought without much snow... Then we had an extraordinarily bad winter (probably '98), and I was up there shortly after, and the glacier was entirely restored to its former glory... In one winter.

It's been a while now since I was up that way, but I would reckon the same dynamics apply. I wouldn't worry much.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2022, 04:38:50 am »
The growth of the glacier depends more on precipitation than it does temperature.