Author Topic: Something surprising can cause electric vehicles to catch on fire. Here's what experts want you to k  (Read 492 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Something surprising can cause electric vehicles to catch on fire. Here's what experts want you to know.
Elizabeth Weise, USA TODAY - Yesterday 9:12 AM

A small number of electric vehicles in Florida burst into flame during flooding caused by Hurricane Ian, and the fires are raising awareness about a previously little-known safety issue for the millions of Americans who have bought or are thinking of buying an EV.

Here's how electric vehicles can cut global warming

They are also generating political heat, with some Florida Republican lawmakers calling for more regulatory oversight for electric vehicles.

Florida's State Fire Marshal Jimmy Patronis tweeted, "there's a science experiment taking place in Florida with EVs and salty storm surge waters."

Start the day smarter. Get all the news you need in your inbox each morning.

But experts note all vehicles use concentrated power sources — whether gasoline, diesel or electricity — making them all vulnerable to ignition.

Statistics compiled by AutoInsuranceEZ found that for every 100,000 EVs, there are about 25 fires each year. That compares to 1,530 car fires in the same number of gas-powered vehicles annually. Gas-powered cars typically catch fire due to fuel leaks or crashes.

Here's what to know about the fires in Florida:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/something-surprising-can-cause-electric-vehicles-to-catch-on-fire-here-s-what-experts-want-you-to-know/ar-AA13pNHh?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=55a61d71d3714b549f6ca8ef23de4dea
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

raising awareness about a previously little-known safety issue for the millions of Americans who have bought or are thinking of buying an EV. (Out and out lie)

Here's how electric vehicles can cut global warming (I wasn't aware burning cars from spontaneous combustion cut "global warming.")

But experts note all vehicles use concentrated power sources — whether gasoline, diesel or electricity — making them all vulnerable to ignition. (Bad things can happen anywhere so don't worry about spontaneous combustion in electric cars.)

Gas-powered cars typically catch fire due to fuel leaks or crashes. (Bad old gas powered cars)

The media can't help themselves in trying to minimize the danger while smoothing over "global warming" issues, even with out and out lies.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How many gasoline powered cars caught fire because they were flooded out?
They wanted to compare... :whistle:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I wasn't aware there are people stupid enough to not know salt water is bad for batteries.  I failed to be surprised.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
How many gasoline powered cars caught fire because they were flooded out?
They wanted to compare... :whistle:
How many cars, excluding Fords, spontaneously combust just sitting parked like EV's?

Offline Potluck

• Surrendered August 19, 1998
The current war on fossil fuels is like banning the horse to encourage ownership of a Tin Lizzie.

Yes, there are hurdles to overcome concerning EVs and I think one of them is getting politics out of the lab. Let technology and the free market do it's magic much like the paradigm shift from vacuum tubes to transistors.
"Hell is the impossibility of reason" - Oliver Stone