Author Topic: EPA closed a refinery that rained oil. Now it’s a ‘ticking time bomb.’  (Read 245 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
EPA closed a refinery that rained oil. Now it’s a ‘ticking time bomb.’
Maxine Joselow - 4h ago

An oil refinery in the U.S. Virgin Islands that the Environmental Protection Agency shut down in spring 2021 now poses the risk of a fire, explosion or other “catastrophic” releases of “extremely hazardous substances,” the agency found in a report released this week.

The idled plant on St. Croix, formerly known as the Limetree Bay refinery, experienced a series of accidents over the course of last year that spewed noxious fumes and showered oil droplets onto nearby homes, sending some residents to emergency rooms. Now deteriorating conditions at the massive facility, which was sold in a bankruptcy auction in December, pose a major test of the Biden administration’s commitment to environmental justice.

Men's Hoodie Pullover Hoodie Sweatshirt Blue Hooded Graphic Eagle Print Casual Daily 3D Print Streetwear Casual Spring & Fall Clothing Apparel Hoodie
In September, the EPA conducted an inspection of the refinery and observed “significant corrosion” of equipment including valves, pipes and pressure relief devices, the agency said in a letter sent to the owners’ lawyers Oct. 13 and made public this week.

“These conditions demonstrate a risk of imminent release of extremely hazardous substances,” the EPA said in an inspection report. “Because of this degree of corrosion, the vessels, piping, and/or valves may fail, resulting in a catastrophic release.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/epa-closed-a-refinery-that-rained-oil-now-it-s-a-ticking-time-bomb/ar-AA13tCvX?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=a8d874c5c55e48299bce6cc2d0333080
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 02:15:46 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson