Author Topic: The US needs a larger Navy, but first American shipping and shipbuilding must be revived  (Read 131 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The US needs a larger Navy, but first American shipping and shipbuilding must be revived

Julianna Lee and Brent D. Sadler - Yesterday 2:54 PM

With the Navy’s eyes set on achieving a goal well above Congress’ mandated 355 manned warships, the American shipbuilding industry has a lot of work to do. Unfortunately, the industry’s current state doesn’t offer much hope for meeting those goals, let alone sustaining a modestly larger fleet.

In a 2021 report on U.S. defense supply chains, The Heritage Foundation’s Maiya Clark explained what is called a “Fragility and Criticality” assessment. That’s a tool used by the Department of Defense to identify and mitigate weaknesses in the defense industrial base.

Fragility can be understood as how likely disruption is to a certain “product or service,” while criticality indicates how difficult it would be to replace the item.

Applying that tool to U.S. Navy shipbuilding reveals that America is a far cry from its former status as a major shipbuilder.

Let’s briefly examine three metrics:

1) Foreign Dependency

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/the-us-needs-a-larger-navy-but-first-american-shipping-and-shipbuilding-must-be-revived/ar-AA13peO7?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=065385c7dfc946bd8349a7d009a13e70
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson