Author Topic: Photo of Kentucky coal miner sitting with son at UK basketball game goes viral  (Read 290 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
October 25, 2022 5:03pm EDT
Photo of Kentucky coal miner sitting with son at UK basketball game goes viral
Michael McGuire rushed to be with his son, Easton, for his first live basketball game this past weekend

By Scott Thompson | Fox News

Kentucky head men’s basketball coach John Calipari got his wish to do something special for a certain family that attended his team’s Blue and White scrimmage over the weekend.

Calipari posted a photo to Twitter of a coal miner and his son watching the Blue-White scrimmage in Pikeville, which raised money for those affected by flooding in Eastern Kentucky in August.

Michael McGuire didn’t want to miss his 3-year-old son, Easton’s, first live basketball game, ESPN says. He rushed after his shift in his work boots and uniform to Appalachian Wireless Arena to watch the game with his son despite the hard work still showing on his body.

Having that photo hit home for Calipari, who wanted to give the McGuire family "VIP" treatment at a game at Rupp Arena this season.

Calipari was able to speak with McGuire’s wife, Mollie, who learned of Calipari’s generous offer.

"I was shocked," Mollie McGuire told ESPN about the call she got from Calipari.

"My family’s American dream started in a Clarksburg, WV coal mine, so this picture hits home," Calipari wrote in his viral tweet.

Following their call, Calipari let the Kentucky faithful know that he was able to get in contact with the family.

https://twitter.com/UKCoachCalipari/status/1584598084532961280

more
https://www.foxnews.com/sports/photo-kentucky-coal-miner-with-son-uk-basketball-game-goes-viral
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Polly Ticks

Awesome gesture from Coach Cal!
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra