Author Topic: Buoyed by Latinos, DeSantis could become the first Republican candidate for governor to win Miami-Da  (Read 802 times)

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
If I was a Democrat in SO. FL I'd be stocking up on brown pants.

MIAMI — Florida Democrats are fretting over Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis’ popularity among Latinos, saying they are boosting his chances of becoming the first Republican governor in 20 years to win traditionally blue Miami-Dade County and therefore propelling his chances of a successful presidential run in 2024.

Miami-Dade, the state's most populous county, is 70% Hispanic. The last time a Republican governor won Miami-Dade County was Jeb Bush in 2002. Unlike DeSantis, Bush held press conferences in fluent Spanish and his wife is Mexican-born.

DeSantis is an “outlier” among Republican governors, said Fernand Amandi, a Democratic consultant and pollster in Miami.

“DeSantis overperforms here in a way that you don’t tend to see Republican candidates perform elsewhere with Hispanics,” he said.

Cause for concern

DeSantis has raised over $100 million for his re-election campaign, a staggering number for any gubernatorial candidate. Many of the donors are eyeing DeSantis as a potential 2024 presidential candidate.

The governor is being challenged by former Democratic congressman — and previous Republican governor —Charlie Crist, who is behind in the polls.

Faced with this, Florida Democrats have expressed frustration and anger over their limited resources and money from national donor groups. Some feel that Democrats have ceded Florida to Republicans after their defeat in the 2020 election.

“If Ron DeSantis wins the Latino vote in Florida, which has been a GOP project now for the past decade," said Democrat Devon Murphy Anderson, co-founder of the voter registration organization Mi Vecino, "Ron DeSantis is going to go directly to his donors and say, 'I can win the presidential nomination and I can beat the Democratic nominee in 2024 because I can win the Latino vote.'"

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/desantis-popularity-latinos-boosting-chances-first-republican-20-years-rcna53427?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline corbe

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline rustynail

Offline libertybele

If DeSantis wins Miami it's game over for Crist.  At that point Ron needs to seriously consider running in '24.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline cato potatoe

Dade is the largest county by a wide margin.  Hillary got over 63% of the vote.  An urban core "flip" to the GOP does not happen in modern politics, and would be quite remarkable. 

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Dade is the largest county by a wide margin.  Hillary got over 63% of the vote.  An urban core "flip" to the GOP does not happen in modern politics, and would be quite remarkable.

I just checked 2020 election results by county.
Mia-Dade  Biden 53.4 vs Trump 46.1  Total votes Biden 617,300  Trump 532.800

Broward and Palm beachs Co's had higher % of rats votes for Biden.

https://www.cnn.com/election/2020/results/state/florida

Anyway, given Dade is a majority hispanic county it would be yuge to see Crist go down in flames.

Broward, Palm Bch, Orange, Osceola, Duval, Gadsden and Leon will vote for the Human Q-tip.

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline cato potatoe

Broward, Palm Bch, Orange, Osceola, Duval, Gadsden and Leon will vote for the Human Q-tip.

I think Ron carries Duval this time.  Early turnout percentage is low there, with the GOP leading 28-23.  The dems are also struggling around Orlando.