Author Topic: WHAT IS A ROTATING DETONATION ENGINE AND WHAT COULD IT MEAN FOR AVIATION?  (Read 181 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
WHAT IS A ROTATING DETONATION ENGINE AND WHAT COULD IT MEAN FOR AVIATION?
Alex Hollings | October 24, 2022

Rotating detonation engines (RDEs) have been the subject of theory and speculation for decades, but have yet to cross from theory to practical application. But now, it looks as though these exotic propulsion systems are about to make the leap into operational platforms.

In theory, a rotating detonation engine promises to be much more efficient than traditional jet engines, potentially providing missile applications a serious boost in range and speed. That could also mean fielding smaller weapons capable of achieving the same speeds and ranges as today’s missiles.

In aircraft applications like jet fighters, rotating detonation engines could offer similar benefits to missiles in terms of range and speed while potentially reducing maintenance requirements. Fighters, in particular, rely on afterburners, which effectively firehose fuel into the engine’s exhaust stream for added thrust. This rapidly depletes fuel stores and reduces the fighter’s range. RDEs could potentially allow for a similar boost in thrust with a dramatically reduced fuel penalty.

https://www.sandboxx.us/blog/what-is-a-rotating-detonation-engine-and-what-could-it-mean-for-aviation/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Interesting, thanks!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis