Author Topic: DeSantis announced $5M for insurance deductibles  (Read 469 times)

Online libertybele

DeSantis announced $5M for insurance deductibles
« on: October 22, 2022, 08:10:35 pm »
Quite a deceiving headline as I looked up information for my city and county and then I discovered the truth of the matter.

DeSantis announced $5M for insurance deductibles

DeSantis announced $5M for insurance deductibles according to a press release from the governor’s office, “Florida Housing annually receives funding from the Legislature for the State Housing Initiatives Partnership (SHIP) program, of which $5 million is set aside to be used in the event of a natural disaster. This year, the disaster funds have been allocated to assist Floridians who are low to moderate income, live in one of the six counties hardest hit by Hurricane Ian and cannot afford to pay their insurance deductibles.”

So, I thought I'd check to see if I qualify for anything -- obviously I'm of the wrong ethnicity. No, I am not looking for a handout, but this infuriates me:

.....Non-profit affordable housing providers and local government agencies receive notice of funding availability in a newspaper of general circulation and periodicals serving ethnic and diverse neighborhoods, ..........

Further FEMA will help with disasters, but the catch with that one is if you have insurance and receive $$ from a claim, you may have to pay FEMA back.

So ... I have insurance (still battling with) and also paid for FEMA flood insurance which because we didn't flood, we don't qualify!

Well, maybe it's better not to have insurance.  Paying premiums for 30 years and never making a claim only to be low balled by the insurance company and also paying premiums to FEMA without making a claim and not seeing a dime.  So, who's ahead??  People who didn't pay insurance premiums for years!!  They are the ones getting assistance; we're the ones who keep getting hit to pay higher insurance rates.

https://www.winknews.com/2022/10/22/desantis-announced-5m-for-insurance-deductibles/
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 08:12:05 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: DeSantis announced $5M for insurance deductibles
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2022, 08:38:03 pm »
Do you qualify @libertybele ?

Online libertybele

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2022, 08:51:05 pm »
Do you qualify @libertybele ?

Nope -- we are not ethnically diversified enough and have insurance.  In reality after paying premiums for 30 years and never making a claim, we would have been much further ahead financially if we never had homeowner's insurance or FEMA flood insurance.

Those who don't have insurance are eligible to receive the disaster $$ available. 

As I mentioned above; meanwhile, those who have insurance will continue to watch their premiums rise.

I am sorry to vent ... but the truth is the truth and I'm truly frustrated.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2022, 12:26:25 am »
Nope -- we are not ethnically diversified enough and have insurance.  In reality after paying premiums for 30 years and never making a claim, we would have been much further ahead financially if we never had homeowner's insurance or FEMA flood insurance.

Those who don't have insurance are eligible to receive the disaster $$ available. 

As I mentioned above; meanwhile, those who have insurance will continue to watch their premiums rise.

I am sorry to vent ... but the truth is the truth and I'm truly frustrated.

Don't apologize----I'd be burning up phone lines and email.   9999hair out0000  @libertybele

Online libertybele

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2022, 12:28:58 am »
Don't apologize----I'd be burning up phone lines and email.   9999hair out0000  @libertybele

DeSantis has done a lot of good and he has been very proactive after Ian, but this takes all the frosting off the cake.  I see it as very discriminatory.